Page 197 of 272 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 2712
    I saw snowflakes on Halloween. It was so cold our annual neighborhood Halloween party was cancelled. If that doesn't tell you that global cooling is upon us, I don't what will.
    Last edited by XU 87; 11-05-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I saw snowflakes on Halloween. It was so cold our annual neighborhood Halloween party was cancelled. If that doesn't tell you that global cooling is upon us, I don't what will.
    I cleared about a total of 15 inches of snow off my driveway late Mon thu mid Weds last week. I know it s CO but when CDOT says to stay home you listen..

Where was your post in early October when the temperature rose above 90? (It's all relative --- and the name of the game is "GLOBAL" climate change over a long period of time (30 years), not just warming or cooling on Podunk Street in Anytown, Iowa on some specific date!

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    I cleared about a total of 15 inches of snow off my driveway late Mon thu mid Weds last week. I know it s CO but when CDOT says to stay home you listen..
    Balmy 72 today. Made two birdie putts.
    2023 Sweet 16

It was cold and miserable in Miami yesterday. Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Are you obtuse? When we have the usual or even unusual cold weather, that's just "weather". When we get hot weather, or a bad hurricane, or a tornado, those are examples of climate change and how it is adversely affecting the planet.

In fact, I've seen some arguments that the global warming is also causing global cooling.

In fact, I've seen some arguments that the global warming is also causing global cooling.
    Back in the 70s, we were going to be dead before the year 2000 from the coming ice age. Then the scientists “all” agreed we’d be dead by 2020 or 2030 from the coming heat wave and coastal flooding. Now, they’re saying we might be back to global cooling. Please excuse me if I don’t believe any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Back in the 70s, we were going to be dead before the year 2000 from the coming ice age. Then the scientists “all” agreed we’d be dead by 2020 or 2030 from the coming heat wave and coastal flooding. Now, they’re saying we might be back to global cooling. Please excuse me if I don’t believe any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't be a denier. Global cooling is upon us. If we don't immediately do something to stop this, Victory Parkway will be covered by a glacier by 2025.

On the ice ages and global cooling predictions of the 1970s ...

Actually, thanks to the Nixon administration, the global cooling disaster of the 1970s was averted by the government choosing a correct balance between regulation and economic development limiting aerosols in the atmosphere. Remember telling mom how bad her hair spray was? Just wait if you need to refill your air conditioner with freon beginning next year.

As a bonus, has there been new technology development and expansion of the economy due to new developments to replace those evil aerosols? My favorite right now mists just a hint of vermouth over a well made gin for a near perfect martini. (Actually, it would be interesting to see what that economic impact (aerosols -> new atomizers) would be ... some researchers please). The 1970s thought was aerosols seed clouds which reflect sunlight and cause global cooling. Add some peripheral knowledge on periodic ice ages (with geologically long time periods) and there indeed were media reports (Newsweek and Time) of a possible upcoming ice ages (and taught to particularly impressionable youth at Guardian Angels grade school).

Fact is in the 1970s, there was no 97% scientific consensus. Predictions were more like 60% for global warming (because science started to include all the components like CO2 (human and volcanos) and aerosols and the C02- water vapor cycles and all those long term periodic variations) and 10% for global cooling, and 30% unsure. There was not a consensus as the modeling was not completely developed. However, science progresses and we now know the consensus that developed in the 1980s, 90s and (really, except for the 3% fringe - if they still exist, there isn't any controversy).
    Last edited by WCWIII; 11-10-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by WCWIII View Post
    On the ice ages and global cooling predictions of the 1970s ...

Actually, thanks to the Nixon administration, the global cooling disaster of the 1970s was averted by the government choosing a correct balance between regulation and economic development limiting aerosols in the atmosphere. Remember telling mom how bad her hair spray was? Just wait if you need to refill your air conditioner with freon beginning next year.

As a bonus, there has been all the new technology development and expansion of the economy due to new developments to replace those evil aerosols? My favorite right now mists just a hint of vermouth over a well made gin for a near perfect martini. (Actually, it would be interesting to see what that economic impact (aerosols -> new atomizers) would be ... some researchers please). The 1970s thought was aerosols seed clouds which reflect sunlight and cause global cooling. Add some peripheral knowledge on periodic ice ages (with geologically long time periods) and there indeed were media reports (Newsweek and Time) of a possible upcoming ice ages (and taught to particularly impressionable youth at Guardian Angels grade school).

Fact is in the 1970s, there was no 97% scientific consensus. Predictions were more like 60% for global warming (because science started to include all the components like CO2 (human and volcanos) and aerosols and the C02- water vapor cycles and all those long term periodic variations) and 10% for global cooling, and 30% unsure. There was not a consensus as the modeling was not completely developed. However, science progresses and we now know the consensus that developed in the 1980s, 90s and (really, except for the 3% fringe - if they still exist, there isn't any controversy).
    yea those policy changes averted an ice age... sure.

i actually saw an article a few weeks ago about a couple scientists warning about global cooling again. don't know what to think. i look at it like those studies that come out every now and then talking about how red meat is bad for you and then another the next week telling you it's good for you again. it's just people trying to justify their research