Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enquirer says that Herron was signed to the practice squad. I don't know if he has officially cleared waivers or not though. Surprised if no other team grabbed him.

Also this was one of Marvin's comments on making the final cut in general:

“It was a very difficult day. Every one of these guys we’ve had a good history with. With the process now of playing the game on Thursday and almost having an extra day, I was able to visit with a lot of the guys yesterday that this might be in the wings for you in the next 24 hours, that kind of situation,” Lewis said of the process. “I think it kind of softens the blow of it a little bit and gives them a heads up and puts them on notice a little bit.

“But it’s still a difficult time. These guys have busted their tails. They’ve given to the football team everything they’ve had, and right now this is just where we are. Like I said, tomorrow could be a little different and things could change as we go forward.”

I think that Gio is the starting running back by week 4. Green-Ellis is a serviceable back, but I see Gio and think James Brooks in his prime here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I think that Gio is the starting running back by week 4. Green-Ellis is a serviceable back, but I see Gio and think James Brooks in his prime here.
    Honestly, I don't see him supplanting Green-Ellis on the depth chart at all. That isn't to say that he won't be the much more productive RB, but that the Law Firm will retain the title while playing half the offensive plays and giving the rest to Bernard. It seems to me that the Bengals hope to use Bernard in a strict "change of pace" role whereas he isn't gunning to replace Green-Ellis, but to supplement him.

Even though the Steelers' and Ravens' defenses are showing their age, this is still the AFC North, a division that values smash-mouth running on both sides of the ball. The Bengals need a guy like Green-Ellis to run between the tackles 20-25 times a game to control the clock, wear out defenses and keep things honest for the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Honestly, I don't see him supplanting Green-Ellis on the depth chart at all. That isn't to say that he won't be the much more productive RB, but that the Law Firm will retain the title while playing half the offensive plays and giving the rest to Bernard. It seems to me that the Bengals hope to use Bernard in a strict "change of pace" role whereas he isn't gunning to replace Green-Ellis, but to supplement him.

Even though the Steelers' and Ravens' defenses are showing their age, this is still the AFC North, a division that values smash-mouth running on both sides of the ball. The Bengals need a guy like Green-Ellis to run between the tackles 20-25 times a game to control the clock, wear out defenses and keep things honest for the passing game.
    I don't know. Bernard is listed at 5'9" and 205lbs. Ray Rice is 5'8" and 212. Both are smaller than a lot of the other productive every down backs in the AFC North in recent years, but Bernard isn't that far off. I'm not sure they drafted him in the second round to be nothing more than a change of pace back.

Assuming Bernard is productive against real defenses during the season I could see him getting closer to 50% of the carries. I agree that the law firm will still get the touches though.

I agree with you that we definitely need to pound the rock though. If Bernard isn't up for it then we can use a combination of him and Green-Ellis.
    Eat Donuts!

I tend to agree with Fireball when it comes to increased playing time as the season progresses, but I don't think either will be the featured runner. Both backs compliment each other. Don't forget Brooks had Ickey Woods, even though it was later in his career. I'd like to see something like that arrangement, even though Green-Ellis is not the back Woods was.

What, no mention of Stanley Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I don't know. Bernard is listed at 5'9" and 205lbs. Ray Rice is 5'8" and 212. Both are smaller than a lot of the other productive every down backs in the AFC North in recent years, but Bernard isn't that far off. I'm not sure they drafted him in the second round to be nothing more than a change of pace back.

Assuming Bernard is productive against real defenses during the season I could see him getting closer to 50% of the carries. I agree that the law firm will still get the touches though.

I agree with you that we definitely need to pound the rock though. If Bernard isn't up for it then we can use a combination of him and Green-Ellis.
    It's not that I think that he will be a second fiddle to BJGE, just that BJGE will remain the team's listed "starter" throughout the year. I think the team is looking for a set of complimentary backs that will share time. Somewhat akin to what Denver, New Orleans and the Giants (before Brown got hurt) are doing. Like I said in a previous post, if he turns out to be a Ray Rice type back, the Bengals have hit a homerun with this draft pick. If he becomes a decent receiving back to share time with whomever the Bengals have running between the tackles, then I still consider it a win because it seems that that's what they drafted him for.

I just want to see Gio start stepping out of those shoestring tackles he seems to keep getting tripped up on. It seems like he is just about to break into open field and the guy who he has already beaten brings him down with just a hand to the foot.

I can't wait for this season to get started. Opening with Bears on the road, then Steelers and Packers at home is as tough as I can remember the first three games. Add in the week 5 game vs. New England and that's 14 of the 47 Super Bowl rings we will see in the first 5 weeks.
    Last edited by Kahns Krazy; 09-03-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    It's not that I think that he will be a second fiddle to BJGE, just that BJGE will remain the team's listed "starter" throughout the year. I think the team is looking for a set of complimentary backs that will share time. Somewhat akin to what Denver, New Orleans and the Giants (before Brown got hurt) are doing. Like I said in a previous post, if he turns out to be a Ray Rice type back, the Bengals have hit a homerun with this draft pick. If he becomes a decent receiving back to share time with whomever the Bengals have running between the tackles, then I still consider it a win because it seems that that's what they drafted him for.
    Gotcha. In that case I agree. I too would love it if he turned into the next Ray Rice. Their builds are somewhat similar but Rice seems much harder to bring down.

I'm really curious to see how the line plays against good defensive fronts during the season. If the O-line plays well then our backs will look good, no matter who they are. If the line plays poorly then they will struggle. We should find that out in the first couple of game.
    Eat Donuts!