Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fox sports 1

fox sports 1

Chris Mack: "I just knew that I had a lot more passion for basketball than I did for hydraulic oil."

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocalmuskie View Post
    This would suck hard if a deal doesn't get done.

Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    This would suck hard if a deal doesn't get done.
    The deal will eventually get done. FOX and Time-Warner simply have to "rattle their swords" against one another for a while in an effort to appear to be the party who is actually fighting for the welfare of their customers (when neither is actually doing that --- each wants the best deal for self!).

IF Fox Sports 1 pick sup enough major sporting events (isn't Xavier Basketball enough) - they will be over a barrel to add Fox Sports 1 or else they will lose a lot of accounts with bars, restaurants, hotels, and other businesses that like to offer their customers sports programming. Much less all the residential customers.

XU has to have some idea after the Tiem Warner Sports Channel fiasco about how many fans use each provider.

(interesting anecdote - know a guy that works in business accounts at time warner - evidently the standard bar package does not include stuff like TruTV - usually not a big deal as bars don't typically want to show what TruTV offers. Until the first week of March Madness. Then every bar was calling frantically trying to purchase the channel.
    - David Bowers ('95)

From the article....

The fact that so many deals are open a month before a network launch is not unusual in the cable industry. Typically, carriage deals like FS1’s get finalized in the days leading up to or just after a channel’s launch
    We've seen this before. It royally sucks, but chances are, at about 10:30pm on August 16th, a deal will be struck. It is in the best interest of both sides to strike a deal.

Then again....we still haven't seen one with the Pac Twelve Network. Not on DirecTV anyway.

Not getting a deal done would be stupid, but you never want to underestimate the power of stupidity in this world.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Sophomore
    Last year I went down to visit a buddy in Louisville. The Reds were the national FOX game that week. After about 20 minutes of flipping through his menu multiple times and passing every fox iteration other than regular FOX a girl came by and said that FOX and their cable provider had a dispute over price so they they no longer get FOX.

My point is that if FOX is willing to withhold their flagship station from subscribers because of a price dispute I'm sure they'll have no problem holding things up on the sports channel.

Last year I went down to visit a buddy in Louisville. The Reds were the national FOX game that week. After about 20 minutes of flipping through his menu multiple times and passing every fox iteration other than regular FOX a girl came by and said that FOX and their cable provider had a dispute over price so they they no longer get FOX.

My point is that if FOX is willing to withhold their flagship station from subscribers because of a price dispute I'm sure they'll have no problem holding things up on the sports channel.
    The Reds are on Fox Sports Ohio in Louisville.

That's funny. My parents have cable, are huge Reds fans, and I never heard any yelling. Granted, I live several hundred miles away, but my Dad would have hit the roof and probably been institutionalized if they pulled the plug on the Reds.

This must not have lasted long.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The Reds are on Fox Sports Ohio in Louisville.

That's funny. My parents have cable, are huge Reds fans, and I never heard any yelling. Granted, I live several hundred miles away, but my Dad would have hit the roof and probably been institutionalized if they pulled the plug on the Reds.

This must not have lasted long.
    Did you read my post? I said they were the national game that weekend and that he had every iteration of FOX (i.e. Fox Sports Ohio) other than basic FOX.

Had they been on Fox Sports Ohio I would have been able to watch them, but as I mentioned it was the national game of the week which gets broadcast on regular old FOX.

Did you read my post? I said they were the national game that weekend and that he had every iteration of FOX (i.e. Fox Sports Ohio) other than basic FOX.

Had they been on Fox Sports Ohio I would have been able to watch them, but as I mentioned it was the national game of the week which gets broadcast on regular old FOX.
    I read it. I just assumed you meant Fox Sports because I didn't think they'd pull the Fox free to air network off the air. It is, after all, free to air.

That's even crazier.

I didn't think the major networks charged anything for cable/satellite providers to carry the local affiliate. Hence the term "Free to Air." I guess this is not the case??

No, I think they have carriage fees for the networks, too, though I could be wrong on that.
    "But I take delight in the juice of the barley/ And courting pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early"