A-10 Revamps Conference Tournament

Link

With four departures (Butler, Charlotte, Temple and Xavier) and one arrival (George Mason), the Atlantic 10 Conference will have 13 members for the 2013-14 academic year with Davidson joining in 2014.
    Those changes have brought about another for the conference: beginning next season, all members will play in the Atlantic 10 tournament at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
    In previous years only the top 12 teams qualified for the conference tournament.

_____

Glad to see Fordham gets to make the trip...
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Dayton is guaranteed an invite now too.

They're having their women's tennis tournament next year in Mason. Seems like an odd choice given that there is no Cincinnati team in the league anymore.

They have been having other tennis tourneys up in Mason, perhaps they really like that facility, maybe they got a great price, perhaps UD is the sponsor, perhaps the contract was already signed before we left.

It is wierd though in a "Why are we in Cincinnati" type vibe.
    - David Bowers ('95)

Also, interesting that they chose 2014 to move to an "Everybody plays" format for the A10 tournament. I mean this past season we had what, the 16 team mega year, and 4 teams sat out. Next year is 13, the least they have had in a long time, and they decide to bring everybody along? I mean, yes they add two more next year in George Mason and Davidson to get to 15. (and will likely lose 1-2 schools as well)

The only reason I can think off for moving to Everybody Plays now of all time is because somebody at Fordham got their feelings hurt about not being invited to their conference tourney IN BROOKLYN! Why you would bow to your boat anchor is beyond me.

OR - thinking ahead, perhaps the A10 sees the Big East / ACC battle that ESPN is trying to cause for Madison Square Garden. An extra days worth of games ices out Barclays. If I'm the A10, I have to see that either the Big East or the ACC have a bigger war chest with which to buy out the A10 contract at Barclays, should they want it. Perhaps the A10 Commish better make sure they didn't throw away boardwalk Hall's business card :)

"Barcaly's - we'll give you another session, and to make sure people come, given past history it is sure to be a NYC based team. (Heck make it a 12/13 play-in game to practically guarantee it)
    - David Bowers ('95)

Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post
    Also, interesting that they chose 2014 to move to an "Everybody plays" format for the A10 tournament. I mean this past season we had what, the 16 team mega year, and 4 teams sat out. Next year is 13, the least they have had in a long time, and they decide to bring everybody along? I mean, yes they add two more next year in George Mason and Davidson to get to 15. (and will likely lose 1-2 schools as well)

The only reason I can think off for moving to Everybody Plays now of all time is because somebody at Fordham got their feelings hurt about not being invited to their conference tourney IN BROOKLYN! Why you would bow to your boat anchor is beyond me.

OR - thinking ahead, perhaps the A10 sees the Big East / ACC battle that ESPN is trying to cause for Madison Square Garden. An extra days worth of games ices out Barclays. If I'm the A10, I have to see that either the Big East or the ACC have a bigger war chest with which to buy out the A10 contract at Barclays, should they want it. Perhaps the A10 Commish better make sure they didn't throw away boardwalk Hall's business card :)

"Barcaly's - we'll give you another session, and to make sure people come, given past history it is sure to be a NYC based team. (Heck make it a 12/13 play-in game to practically guarantee it)
    Or it's because DON'T have to add a day. 5 games on day one is probably doable with an 11am start.

Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    Or it's because DON'T have to add a day. 5 games on day one is probably doable with an 11am start.
    I suspect that's how they'll do it. The Big East had a 13 team tournament for a number of years using that format.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I suspect that's how they'll do it. The Big East had a 13 team tournament for a number of years using that format.
    Agreed. I think they'll have five opening round games the first day. Anyone who attends all five will truly be a diehard.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Agreed. I think they'll have five opening round games the first day. Anyone who attends all five will truly be a diehard.
    And/or a drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post

Actually they add George Mason this year to get to 13, and add Davidson next year to get to 14.