Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    But they are Central Division Champions.......AGAIN!!!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Is winning 26 out of 27 any good?

Asking for a friend.....

Win number 100 today.

Is THAT any good?

#RollTribe

Me thinks Terry Francona is pretty good at his job. Would love to see the Tribe get some rings this year.
    Zip'em Up!

So, so sad for Cleveland. At least they have that NBA championship to hang their hat on.

Quote Originally Posted by mohr5150 View Post
    So, so sad for Cleveland. At least they have that NBA championship to hang their hat on.
    And Art Modell's Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by mohr5150 View Post
    I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this, but hear me out. As someone who came to Xavier from outside of Ohio, Ohio sport fans and specifically Cleveland fans, quickly moved to the top of my list as least favorite fan bases. I grew up in New York and grew up a Yankees, Rangers, and Giants fan; so I was born to hate the Boston and Philadelphia fan bases.

It wasn't until arriving at X that my hatred for Cleveland/Ohio State began. I think a lot of people on this board can understand the Ohio State thing, and for me coming from a state without a large state school, I never saw or dealt with the blind love for a school that I had no affiliation with besides being in the same state.

As far as Cleveland, their current fan base was very similar to that of Boston (before the Red Sox won in 2004). Both had teams that were pretty good (fans thought they were the best thing ever), but they were never able to actually put a season together and win it all. Well Boston finally did put it together and that's led Red Sox fans to the same mentality as Yankee fans (expectation to win). Cleveland, however, is still in this cycle of belief that they're the best thing ever, but have nothing to show for it.
    Last edited by xupuck10; 10-13-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xupuck10 View Post
    I think a lot of people on this board can understand the Ohio State thing, and for me coming from a state without a large state school, I never saw or dealt with the blind love for a school that I had no affiliation with besides being in the same state.
    I don't quite know what to make of the affiliation with OSU by people in Ohio who didn't go to school there; unless it's a natural affinity to imbue a rivalry with a nearby state (Michigan). Generally those non-affiliated people might gravitate to supporting professional sports teams, which Ohio does have in Reds, Bengals, Browns and Indians.

I can give you an insight to states in the South though. Growing up there 60 years ago, there were zero professional sports teams. So, naturally people became attached to college teams in their state as an outlet for "fandom." South Carolina v. Clemson, Auburn v. Alabama, etc. That's all we had. I had to listen to the Reds on WLW to have a baseball team to root for. Some people listened to the big station in St. Louis. Many southerners supported the Senators and Redskins as the closest teams geographically.

Maybe some of that bleeds over into what you notice, but you came from a place that always had pro sports.
    Also...UC sucks.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xupuck10 View Post
    I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this, but hear me out. As someone who came to Xavier from outside of Ohio, Ohio sport fans and specifically Cleveland fans, quickly moved to the top of my list as least favorite fan bases. I grew up in New York and grew up a Yankees, Rangers, and Giants fan; so I was born to hate the Boston and Philadelphia fan bases.

It wasn't until arriving at X that my hatred for Cleveland/Ohio State began. I think a lot of people on this board can understand the Ohio State thing, and for me coming from a state without a large state school, I never saw or dealt with the blind love for a school that I had no affiliation with besides being in the same state.

As far as Cleveland, their current fan base was very similar to that of Boston (before the Red Sox won in 2004). Both had teams that were pretty good (fans thought they were the best thing ever), but they were never able to actually put a season together and win it all. Well Boston finally did put it together and that's led Red Sox fans to the same mentality as Yankee fans (expectation to win). Cleveland, however, is still in this cycle of belief that they're the best thing ever, but have nothing to show for it.
    Dude. You're an arrogant Yankee fan and casting rocks at us? L.....O.....Freaking.... L!!

New York and Boston are the most arrogant, full of themselves fan bases ever. Cleveland NEVER thinks it's the best ever. How could we?
    Are we proud of our teams and root hard for them? Absolutely but ask Cub fans how they were treated in this town during the World Series last year. They were unanimously complimentary.

Cleveland fans are very akin to Xavier fans. We've been close but not quite there. We will get there, but until then, we'll cheer our asses off, but be respectful in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Dude. You're an arrogant Yankee fan and casting rocks at us? L.....O.....Freaking.... L!!
    First to admit that Yankees fan's are arrogant. I guess what I was trying to say there was that I can accept NY (and now Boston's) arrogance and swagger since they have something to back it up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Cleveland NEVER thinks it's the best ever. How could we?
    If you have that outlook, then more power to you. Way too many Cleveland kids were the exact opposite when I was at X (and that was before the Cavs finally won).