Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xupuck10 View Post
    First to admit that Yankees fan's are arrogant. I guess what I was trying to say there was that I can accept NY (and now Boston's) arrogance and swagger since they have something to back it up with.

If you have that outlook, then more power to you. Way too many Cleveland kids were the exact opposite when I was at X (and that was before the Cavs finally won).
    So the majority of Cleveland fans you know are arrogant? Perhaps (just a theory since I wasn’t there) they were feebly attempting to match your arrogance?

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I don't quite know what to make of the affiliation with OSU by people in Ohio who didn't go to school there; unless it's a natural affinity to imbue a rivalry with a nearby state (Michigan).
    Not sure if I can speak for everyone, but I have a little bit of insight on this... I grew up in Columbus as a diehard OSU football and basketball fan. My dad had season tickets to both.

I stopped rooting for OSU basketball in 2001 when I enrolled at X. I never understood how fans can have "favorite" and "second favorite" teams. IMO, true fans only root for 1 team.

However, I am still an OSU football fan. My reasoning (whether rational or not) is that X doesn't have a football program and OSU's football roster is ~80% from the state of Ohio and surrounding area. Said another way: OSU football represents the best amateur football players this state/region has to offer.
    "It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be associated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier." -Mitch Hedberg

Cleveland fans are weird. They have this obsessive thing with the city and it really doesn't make sense. At X everyone from Cleveland couldn't wait to graduate and go back to Cleveland. They all touted their love for their teams but it was a little hard to take seriously. Nothing screams bandwagon fans more than when you finish 28th in attendance the year you make the World Series and follow that up in the bottom 3rd in attendance the following year. They have this weird blind pride for the city but it just seems hollow when it comes to the sports teams.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Cleveland fans are weird. They have this obsessive thing with the city and it really doesn't make sense. At X everyone from Cleveland couldn't wait to graduate and go back to Cleveland. They all touted their love for their teams but it was a little hard to take seriously. Nothing screams bandwagon fans more than when you finish 28th in attendance the year you make the World Series and follow that up in the bottom 3rd in attendance the following year. They have this weird blind pride for the city but it just seems hollow when it comes to the sports teams.
    Translation: I don’t like Cleveland and can’t understand how anyone could have pride in that dump.

As a Clevelander I don’t like Detroit but wouldn’t knock someone for having pride in that dump either. Home is home.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    But look at the size of the markets and the competition for the sports dollar here. Cleveland is the smallest market to have teams in the 3 major sports. If you look at attendance adjusted for population in baseball, Cleveland ranks very well- in the top 10. When the Clowns were on hiatus, the Indians sold out 455 straight games in a 40,000 plus ball park. Cleveland was also #1 in local TV ratings for the Indians this year vs all of Major League Baseball.

As to Love for the City, it's real- and it makes a ton of sense. You ever been here, Brother?
    I'm not from here originally. I'm from Louisville by birth, but I love this town too and couldn't wait to move up here from Atlanta. My son left for a job and came back as soon as he could. He'll never leave again and will raise his family here. My other daughters would move back in a heartbeat if they could. The people here are the greatest and friendliest around and the city is so easy to get around with a beautiful Great Lake to admire every day.

This town is superb. Try it some time. #BestLocationInTheNation
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    So the majority of Cleveland fans you know are arrogant? Perhaps (just a theory since I wasn’t there) they were feebly attempting to match your arrogance?
    Nah. We were just cheering hard for our team because we desperately want all of our teams to win. One Championsip in a major sport in 50 years doesn't exactly breed "arrogance". If you take offense to people cheering hard for their teams & City, that's your problem. (Not yours Lloyd)

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Besides Cleveland phasing out Chief Wahoo after this year, another college is going to phase out their mascot and injury:

Holy Cross???

Gotta admit, this one came completely out of left field. I somehow doubt there will be calls for UCF and the Vegas Golden Knights to retire their logos and mascots.

By the way, unpopular opinion on here-even though the Reds, who I've loved since birth, and the Indians play in different leagues- but the Tribe is prohibitive favorites to win the Central Division. Post season is always a dice roll.

But. I hate the fucking Yankees.....and arrogant Boston too.

But get ready for a season long continuation of this thread. (I hate that we lost Jay Bruce though!)
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 03-21-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    MOR thanks for Mickey Callaway! Us Mets fans are loving him.

Obviously as Mets fans we are also just waiting for disaster to strike, it has somewhat started with one catcher out for the ear needing Tommy John and the other out for a month with broken hand but that is probably minor compared to the disaster that typically awaits the Mets.

Enjoying it while I can.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

It was tough to see Mickey go he was awesome here. Glad to see he’s doing well... it’s not a fluke either. Tito sang his praises when he left for good reason.