Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East Sports

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It's too bad the Big East will not sponsor basketball. Seems like that could have been a good league.
    You mean we've been duped ?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Frankly I would be very surprised if adding some sports wasn't a condition of our addition to the Big East.
    Like what ? We participate in everything listed except football & lax. Lax, while growing, is still somewhat organized like hockey intercollegiately. There's not many conferences. Previously, only 7 of 16 played lax in the BE.

Quote Originally Posted by SM#24 View Post
    Like what ? We participate in everything listed except football & lax. Lax, while growing, is still somewhat organized like hockey intercollegiately. There's not many conferences. Previously, only 7 of 16 played lax in the BE.
    X doesn't participate in Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Women's Rowing and Softball. All were former Big East sports.

In a vacuum I would agree. But in the immortal words of George Costanza, "You know we're living in a society!!!" (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxtxzF5L8VA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usN3rpfFoGA.)

Bear in mind that schools in a conference want to compete in that conference. The Georgetowns and the Villanovas want their conference-mates to offer mostly the same sports so that every sport gets a true "conference" experience. They also want there to be a level playing field across athletic departments (or will at least argue that when it suits them). Frankly I would be very surprised if adding some sports wasn't a condition of our addition to the Big East.
    Was it a condition for Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, and Marquette? We sponsor more sports than any of those schools. In fact, only Georgetown and Villanova sponsor more sports than us. I find it hard to believe that the whole conference will cater to those two schools.

Quote Originally Posted by SM#24 View Post
    I believe you will see the addition of some women's sports.

Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    Was it a condition for Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, and Marquette?
    Quite possibly yes. (Not a condition, but an expectation of sorts. And one that is probably "incentivized.")

In a vacuum I would agree. But in the immortal words of George Costanza, "You know we're living in a society!!!" (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxtxzF5L8VA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usN3rpfFoGA.)

Bear in mind that schools in a conference want to compete in that conference. The Georgetowns and the Villanovas want their conference-mates to offer mostly the same sports so that every sport gets a true "conference" experience. They also want there to be a level playing field across athletic departments (or will at least argue that when it suits them). Frankly I would be very surprised if adding some sports wasn't a condition of our addition to the Big East.
    But doesn't the fact that the Catholic 7 left over from the old Big East don't each have all the same sports? Georgetown, for example, has a legitimate lacrosse program. No other Big East school is currently able to attract the kind of top level lacrosse talent that Georgetown does, and a lot of the schools in the conference are in areas of the country where the competition and popularity of lacrosse is a mere fraction of what it is in the area where Georgetown is. Do you think that Georgetown cares if Xavier, Butler and Creighton add lacrosse? It's not like their former Big East foes all had lacrosse. Marquette not having baseball kind of surprises me, but don't you think they'd have it if the rest of the league wanted them to have it? I really just think the formation of the new Big East was almost solely basketball driven.

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    Marquette not having baseball kind of surprises me
    UW-Milwaukee has a team, but the weather in Milwaukee for the entire college baseball season is somewhere between abysmal (February, March, April) and hit or miss (May).

Case in point: UWM played its first game this year February 15th. They played their first game in the city of Milwaukee on April 24th.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 05-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    UW-Milwaukee has a team, but the weather in Milwaukee for the entire college baseball season is somewhere between abysmal (February, March, April) and hit or miss (May).
    True. The conference is full of teams from all different kinds of regions. That kind of plays into my point. Maybe that's just another reason you won't see them all have the same sports. Lacrosse is a great example because in the DC and NY regions, where a few of our teams are, lacrosse matters exponentially more than it matters basically everywhere else in the country. Even if your force Xavier or Butler or Creighton to start D1 lacrosse programs, how competitive are they really going to be given where they are? Georgetown's lacrosse competition is Maryland, Hopkins, UMBC, Loyola, etc. It's a pipe dream to think that they're going to get the rest of the Big East to commit to lacrosse the way they do.

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    But doesn't the fact that the Catholic 7 left over from the old Big East don't each have all the same sports? Georgetown, for example, has a legitimate lacrosse program. No other Big East school is currently able to attract the kind of top level lacrosse talent that Georgetown does, and a lot of the schools in the conference are in areas of the country where the competition and popularity of lacrosse is a mere fraction of what it is in the area where Georgetown is. Do you think that Georgetown cares if Xavier, Butler and Creighton add lacrosse? It's not like their former Big East foes all had lacrosse. Marquette not having baseball kind of surprises me, but don't you think they'd have it if the rest of the league wanted them to have it? I really just think the formation of the new Big East was almost solely basketball driven.
    I think Men's LAX is a bad example because there are high barriers to entry (and it is a nightmare from a Title IX perspective given team size). It's more likely hockey where, aside from a few select conferences, the game is really played in the OOC. On the XU side of the ledger, like I said before I'd expect to see the growth on the women's side. And I think the top 2 candidates would be softball and field hockey (in that order).