Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East Sports

Big East Sports

What programs do you think X will add that some of our new conference mates have?

I know we have Club LAX for instance. Is this a sport X is willing to invest in? What are some others?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

He's a rough idea what everyone has:

School I LaX I Soccer I Baseball I Cross Country I Track/Field I Golf I Tennis I Swimming/Diving I Football (type) I
    Marq I_X___I__X____I________I____X________I____X______I __X___I__X___I_________________I_____________I
    GtownI__X__I__X____I__X_____I____X________I____X__ ____I__X___I__X___I________X________I__X (FCS)_____I
    Nova I__X__I__X____I__X_____I____X________I____X______I __X___I__X___I________X________I__X (FCS)_____I
    John'sI__X__I__X____I__X_____I_____________I______ _____I__X___I__X___I_________________I____________ _I
    Prov I__X__I__X____I________I____X________I____X______I ______I______I________X________I_____________I
    S Hall I_____I__X____I___X____I____X________I___________I ___X__I______I________X________I_____________I
    D'Paul I_____I__X____I________I____X________I____X______I ___X__I__X___I_________________I_____________I
    Butler I_____I__X____I___X____I____X________I____X______I ___X__I__X___I_________________I___X (FCS)____I
    Creigh I_____I__X____I___X____I____X________I___________I ___X__I__X___I_________________I_____________I
    Xavier I_____I__X____I___X____I____X________I____X______I ___X__I__X___I________X________I_____________I
    Total I__5__I__10___I___7____I____9________I____7______I ___9__I__8___I________5________I_____3_______I

SLU I_D2_I___X____I__X___I______X_______I____________I ____I___X___I________X________I_____________I
    UDay I____I___X____I__X___I______X_______I____________I __X__I__X___I_________________I____X (FCS)____I
    URich I__X_I________I__X___I______X_______I_____X______I __X__I__X___I_________________I____X (FCS)____I
    VCU I____I___X____I__X___I______X_______I_____X______I __X__I__X___I_________________I_______________I
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I wouldn't be surprised if X adds lacrosse in a few years.

It's a growing sport, no new facilities are needed, and Title IX shouldn't interfere because you can add men's and women's.

Which, if I am reading the charts above correctly, means that we would participate in all sports (sans football) if we added LAX?

No others offered? (Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, etc?)

I don't see Volleyball or Softball on that chart, leading me to think its incomplete.
    - David Bowers ('95)

I'll have to look and see if there is indeed another chart over at HLH.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post
    Which, if I am reading the charts above correctly, means that we would participate in all sports (sans football) if we added LAX?

No others offered? (Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, etc?)

I don't see Volleyball or Softball on that chart, leading me to think its incomplete.
    This might be easier to read:

School LaX Soccer Baseball Cross Country Track/Field Golf Tennis Swimming/Diving Football (type)
    Marq X X X X X X
    Gtown X X X X X X X X X (FCS)
    Nova X X X X X X X X X (FCS)
    John's X X X X X
    Prov X X X X X
    S Hall X X X X X
    D'Paul X X X X X
    Butler X X X X X X X (FCS)
    Creigh X X X X X
    Xavier X X X X X X X
    Total 5 10 7 9 7 9 8 5 3
    SLU D2 X X X X X
    UDay X X X X X X (FCS)
    URich X X X X X X X (FCS)
    VCU X X X X X X

Perhaps that chart only refers to men's sports offered?
    - David Bowers ('95)

I'm hoping we don't add any sports until we have more money than we know what to do with. Keeping the total number of sports offered low is what allows us to fully invest in the the olympic sports we DO have. If you look at Georgetown and Villanova, they offer just about every sport possible, but they are all under-funded and thus not successful (in general). Let's be really good at what we do have. I know some of the olympic sports still aren't fully funded in terms of full coaching staffs. If we match the upper echelon of funding (relative to our Big East foes) in all of our current olympic sports and still have money to spare, then we can talk about adding sports.

It's too bad the Big East will not sponsor basketball. Seems like that could have been a good league.

Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    I'm hoping we don't add any sports until we have more money than we know what to do with. Keeping the total number of sports offered low is what allows us to fully invest in the the olympic sports we DO have. If you look at Georgetown and Villanova, they offer just about every sport possible, but they are all under-funded and thus not successful (in general). Let's be really good at what we do have. I know some of the olympic sports still aren't fully funded in terms of full coaching staffs. If we match the upper echelon of funding (relative to our Big East foes) in all of our current olympic sports and still have money to spare, then we can talk about adding sports.
    In a vacuum I would agree. But in the immortal words of George Costanza, "You know we're living in a society!!!" (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxtxzF5L8VA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usN3rpfFoGA.)

Bear in mind that schools in a conference want to compete in that conference. The Georgetowns and the Villanovas want their conference-mates to offer mostly the same sports so that every sport gets a true "conference" experience. They also want there to be a level playing field across athletic departments (or will at least argue that when it suits them). Frankly I would be very surprised if adding some sports wasn't a condition of our addition to the Big East.