Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Google "Chris Mack", "Jim Crews" and "Evansville" and you should figure it out
    OOOhhh! He's THAT guy!

Yeah. Schmuck.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    What about Dez?
    Although the two might practically seem the same, the NCAA is far more concerned with technicalities than practicalities, and technically the two are very different.

Essentially, what happened with Dez was along the lines of a school discontinuing a program. Dez never sought a transfer, and not only could he not return to the team, he could not return to the institution. All the NCAA cares about is that Dez broke no NCAA rules, and that it was impossible for him to return to the INSTITUTION, much less the team.

In the case of Drew, he merely lost his scholarship. He could still remain a student at SLU. For that matter, it was never demonstrated that he couldn't play on the team as a walk on. As far as the NCAA is concerned, it was Drew that sought the transfer, and his reason for seeking it is because he lost his scholarship.

Fair or not, that is not grounds for a waiver. It never has been as far as I know.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I predict that St. Louis will regret hiring this guy within 2 years.

Guys that age don't change their stripes. He'll pull his usual fade act soon.
    He learned at the feet of master asshole, Bob Knight. For all the good deeds Bob did, he evened it out by being an ass most of the time.

I would think the fact that he sat out last year would be a major factor in his favor.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Although the two might practically seem the same, the NCAA is far more concerned with technicalities than practicalities, and technically the two are very different.

Essentially, what happened with Dez was along the lines of a school discontinuing a program. Dez never sought a transfer, and not only could he not return to the team, he could not return to the institution. All the NCAA cares about is that Dez broke no NCAA rules, and that it was impossible for him to return to the INSTITUTION, much less the team.

In the case of Drew, he merely lost his scholarship. He could still remain a student at SLU. For that matter, it was never demonstrated that he couldn't play on the team as a walk on. As far as the NCAA is concerned, it was Drew that sought the transfer, and his reason for seeking it is because he lost his scholarship.

Fair or not, that is not grounds for a waiver. It never has been as far as I know.
    Is there a bylaw in support of what you're saying, or is it totally discretionary? I'm asking because I don't know.

I do know that reason often does not play a role in such decisions rendered by the NCAA, so I could see where the NCAA would make him sit a year. And I understand Drew, unlike Wells, wasn't expelled. But one would think that having your scholarship taken away, especially at a private school, would amount to de facto expulsion. Pretty terrible.

Is there a bylaw in support of what you're saying, or is it totally discretionary? I'm asking because I don't know.

I do know that reason often does not play a role in such decisions rendered by the NCAA, so I could see where the NCAA would make him sit a year. And I understand Drew, unlike Wells, wasn't expelled. But one would think that having your scholarship taken away, especially at a private school, would amount to de facto expulsion. Pretty terrible.
    I'm not trying to side step your question, but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. The bylaw is that all men's basketball players who transfer must complete an academic year at the new institution before they can play (IE, they have to sit a year). There is no bylaw that guarantees a player a waiver. If there were, then they would not need a waiver in the first place. So, I guess it is discretionary.

I agree that it is terrible. I don't think players should have to sit at all when they transfer, and I've been saying that for years. I'm not agreeing with their thought process. I'm merely explaining what I think their thought process is. I was expecting Dez to get one for the reasons I mentioned above. I don't think Drew will. As crazy as this sounds, they do not view a scholarship as a necessity, so the fact that they did not renew it means nothing to the NCAA. Not all players have scholarships. They're going to say that Drew sought a transfer. Whenever a player seeks a transfer and is not kicked out of school, or if the program is not discontinued, they basically never get a waiver.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Yeah Drew is ineligible but this guy somehow can transfer from Arizona to Washington St and the back to Arizona in the span of 5 months and still be eligible to play college football.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Yeah Drew is ineligible but this guy somehow can transfer from Arizona to Washington St and the back to Arizona in the span of 5 months and still be eligible to play college football.
    Yes. He graduated and is enrolling in a graduate program that Washington State doesn't offer. Again, it's technicalities, not practicalities. What Daniel Jenkins did is within the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm not trying to side step your question, but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. The bylaw is that all men's basketball players who transfer must complete an academic year at the new institution before they can play (IE, they have to sit a year). There is no bylaw that guarantees a player a waiver. If there were, then they would not need a waiver in the first place. So, I guess it is discretionary.

I agree that it is terrible. I don't think players should have to sit at all when they transfer, and I've been saying that for years. I'm not agreeing with their thought process. I'm merely explaining what I think their thought process is. I was expecting Dez to get one for the reasons I mentioned above. I don't think Drew will. As crazy as this sounds, they do not view a scholarship as a necessity, so the fact that they did not renew it means nothing to the NCAA. Not all players have scholarships. They're going to say that Drew sought a transfer. Whenever a player seeks a transfer and is not kicked out of school, or if the program is not discontinued, they basically never get a waiver.
    I would hope having your financial aid unexpectedly taken away would amount to a hardship to waive the one-year ineligibility rule, but we'll see.

I would hope having your financial aid unexpectedly taken away would amount to a hardship to waive the one-year ineligibility rule, but we'll see.
    It won't. I cannot think of a single case where it has.

They won't consider that a hardship. They would merely direct him to the financial aid office.