Questions for Clevelanders / Attorneys RE: former recruit Tony Farmer

I was looking around scout.com for best available 2013 players and current (?) inmate Tony Farmer is listed as still available - clearly, he is not available.

Tony Farmer should be penalized for the brutal crime against his girlfriend, but I have some naive questions...

Does his sentence match the sentence of similar crimes? Are the charges against him justified? Did his attorney botch the defense? What are the thoughts of Cleveland area people and/or attorneys on the board (Woodburn - I'm talking about you)?

What does anyone in Cleveland know about Tony Farmer's attorney Joe Dubyak? A brief google search revealed that Dubyak, "once had his law license suspended for 18 months after a mail fraud conviction." And may be altogether quite inept at defending his clients.

The trial of James Vaughn from linked article above is titled, "Innocent Man Almost Spent Life In Prison For Rape Of Child He Did Not Commit." Bet you can't guess who his attorney was - here are some gems from the story:

"Both prosecutors and Vaughn’s original attorney, Dubyak, had subpoenaed Stout’s report before the first trial. But Stout had changed jobs by that time and never responded. Neither side followed up."... "Dubyak defended the decisions he made. He said he subpoenaed the social worker’s records because he wanted a full picture of the evidence against his client. But he admitted that he did not follow up on it. He said he was surprised when prosecutors didn’t call the social worker to testify. However, he said it did not occur to him that her testimony could have exonerated Vaughn."

One word: dumbass.

Definitely glad X did not have a commitment from Farmer.

http://fox8.com/2013/05/13/i-team-mo...riate-conduct/
    - Bob Sacamano

Uh, please.

No Mr. Farmer. Reminds me of Dallas's Roy Tarpley who took a hot iron to his girlfriend's midsection to make her stomach "flatter".
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by newtsac View Post
    I was looking around scout.com for best available 2013 players and current (?) inmate Tony Farmer is listed as still available - clearly, he is not available.

Tony Farmer should be penalized for the brutal crime against his girlfriend, but I have some naive questions...

Does his sentence match the sentence of similar crimes? Are the charges against him justified? Did his attorney botch the defense? What are the thoughts of Cleveland area people and/or attorneys on the board (Woodburn - I'm talking about you)?

What does anyone in Cleveland know about Tony Farmer's attorney Joe Dubyak? A brief google search revealed that Dubyak, "once had his law license suspended for 18 months after a mail fraud conviction." And may be altogether quite inept at defending his clients.

The trial of James Vaughn from linked article above is titled, "Innocent Man Almost Spent Life In Prison For Rape Of Child He Did Not Commit." Bet you can't guess who his attorney was - here are some gems from the story:

"Both prosecutors and Vaughn’s original attorney, Dubyak, had subpoenaed Stout’s report before the first trial. But Stout had changed jobs by that time and never responded. Neither side followed up."... "Dubyak defended the decisions he made. He said he subpoenaed the social worker’s records because he wanted a full picture of the evidence against his client. But he admitted that he did not follow up on it. He said he was surprised when prosecutors didn’t call the social worker to testify. However, he said it did not occur to him that her testimony could have exonerated Vaughn."
    I'd say yes that the sentence is probably consistent with other like offenders who have their undisputed crime on video. It didn't help matters that he then texted the victim after she filed charges and threatened her (believe he said something to the effect that "he should have done worse"). The only issue his Lawyer may have is did he explain to the offender and family that the Judge has full discretion for sentencing (within guidelines) when you commit to an open plea.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I think the real problem there was the lawyer who was not able to explain fulfilly

I didn't know about this story until just now (I'm out of the loop on a lot of things), and just wow. That's insane people were attempting to justify that he just needed help, that's a vicious attack and brutal, good lord.