Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A10's Future

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    This is going to sound very flip, and I really don't mean it to, but since we moved on to the Big East, I have no idea who is remaining in the A10 and could really care less.

Anyone else feel this way? I have no idea who will be the favorite, who will suck because Fordham, and I don't care if LaSalle makes it back to the dance or who's ass Phil Martelli will now kiss while his teams get their's handed to them.

Sorry brew.
    Now that Xavier is not in the A10, I'll be caring a lot less about the things that always drove me nuts about it, and will probably actually end up liking it a lot more.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Louisville's not taking more than a thousand or so fans. Who other than UConn is going to bring any fans to Philly for the AAC Tournament?!? I think 8,500 might be just right.

If they want to sell out a big arena, have it at the Yum! Center in Louisville. Fat chance they'd do that,though.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Interesting. I believe the Palestra only seats about 8500. Louisville and UConn will be in the AAC next year. I would think they'd need a bigger place. II think it would be great, but I just can't see Memphis, Temple, UConn, Louisville and Cincinnati playing a tournament in the Palestra.
    I honestly don't see anyone -- especially UConn -- being excited about the AAC Tournament next year. UConn doesn't even want to be in the damn conference.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Louisville's not taking more than a thousand or so fans. Who other than UConn is going to bring any fans to Philly for the AAC Tournament?!? I think 8,500 might be just right.

If they want to sell out a big arena, have it at the Yum! Center in Louisville. Fat chance they'd do that,though.
    I think the Yum Center would be an excellent choice. Granted, since Louisville is just in the league for one year it won't happen, but it's a nice venue that is centrally located with plenty of hotels in the vicinity. Cincinnati wouldn't be bad either, other than the fact that it would be at US Bank.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I honestly don't see anyone -- especially UConn -- being excited about the AAC Tournament next year. UConn doesn't even want to be in the damn conference.
    I think that once everyone gets past the fact that it's not the old Big East, they'll be fine. Basketball-wise, the league is very formidable. Temple, Memphis, UConn and Cincinnati are all brand names that are no stranger to the top 25. UCF and USF are both trending up (albeit slowly in USF's case). Even Tulsa and East Carolina have the potential to not suck. Jeff Lebo has built ECU up from "complete suck" to "somewhat mediocre," and it looks as though they're continuing to improve. SMU, Houston and Tulane are the only programs that are complete dogshit.

It's not the Big East, but it's not the America East either. It's better than the old Atlantic Ten ever was, and probably better than what the Pac Twelve and SEC have been in recent years....which admittedly isn't saying much.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Besides the Palestra, they also mentioned the Mohegan Sun has a new 9,500 arena and would love to have the tourney. (with UConn as a sponsor) I'm not sure which one the U of ESPN would rather have.

Same article implied that the member schools are bidding for the right to hold the first tourney, like it may move around. They said UC is out of the running becuase they couldn't get the okay from US Bank Arena. (Something about the buidling already being booked for another event), but that UC would be trying to get it in future years.

US Bank though at least sounds better, - its more reasonable to Louisville, Memphis and UC, which could fill a lot of the 16,000 seats.
    - David Bowers ('95)

I think that once everyone gets past the fact that it's not the old Big East, they'll be fine. Basketball-wise, the league is very formidable. Temple, Memphis, UConn and Cincinnati are all brand names that are no stranger to the top 25. UCF and USF are both trending up (albeit slowly in USF's case). Even Tulsa and East Carolina have the potential to not suck. Jeff Lebo has built ECU up from "complete suck" to "somewhat mediocre," and it looks as though they're continuing to improve. SMU, Houston and Tulane are the only programs that are complete dogshit.

It's not the Big East, but it's not the America East either. It's better than the old Atlantic Ten ever was, and probably better than what the Pac Twelve and SEC have been in recent years....which admittedly isn't saying much.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that any conference anchored by UConn that also has the likes of Memphis, Temple, and yes even UC has basketball chops. I didn't mean to infer otherwise. But I think there is a significant dearth of PRIDE in the AAC, that it will take quite a while for that to be built, and that it will be difficult to even begin the building process until the anchor (UConn) demonstrates commitment. Until then, while the product on the court may well be respectable, I don't see fans clamoring to attend the conference championship.

Supporting Member
    Cincinnati wouldn't be bad either, other than the fact that it would be at US Bank.
    Why not have it at the best basketball arena in town ? I think we could rent them Cintas for a tidy sum.

A10's Future

I've heard the AAC will have its tournament at Mohican Sun
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning

I might go to the AAC Tournament if it was at the Mohegan Sun. I mean, I wouldn't actually go to the games, but I might go to the Mohegan Sun while the games are going on.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I might go to the AAC Tournament if it was at the Mohegan Sun. I mean, I wouldn't actually go to the games, but I might go to the Mohegan Sun while the games are going on.
    You'll use just about any excuse I've noticed to get out of Wichita.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.