Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A10's Future

A10's Future

I still like some of the programs in the Atlantic Ten. It still has it's drawbacks, mainly that it is more of a cluster than an actual conference. But, although it won't be a major conference, it is still viable enough to get the top teams into the dance, and not create a lot of deadweight if there is a breakout program. We were in the rankings and earning solid seeds to the NCAA Tournament in the old version of the Atlantic Ten, and I still think the league is viable enough to continue to enable a team like VCU to do that as well.

VCU, Richmond, La Salle (who continues to trend up), Saint Joe's, UMass (another team that looks to be trending up), SLU and Davidson (who just joined the league) are a decent nucleus of teams. (There is another certain team that I won't mention).

I'm not too big on George Mason. I think that had a lot to do with Larranaga and not the overall strength of the program. They may be very mediocre for a very long time. And they still have a bunch of dead weight crap in Fordham, Duquesne, GW (at least lately) and Fordham. Oh yeah, and Fordham. So, it isn't entirely strong from the top down, but for people who are general basketball fans, I still think it will be a fun league to follow.

To be fair, I should disclose that I enjoy following the leagues like the Summit League, so of course I'm still going to like watching the Atlantic Ten, but in all seriousness, it's about as good as it was before. I can see VCU being the new flagship, and that it will maintain the status of a viable non-BCS league.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

This is going to sound very flip, and I really don't mean it to, but since we moved on to the Big East, I have no idea who is remaining in the A10 and could really care less.

Anyone else feel this way? I have no idea who will be the favorite, who will suck because Fordham, and I don't care if LaSalle makes it back to the dance or who's ass Phil Martelli will now kiss while his teams get their's handed to them.

Sorry brew.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    This is going to sound very flip, and I really don't mean it to, but since we moved on to the Big East, I have no idea who is remaining in the A10 and could really care less.

Anyone else feel this way? I have no idea who will be the favorite, who will suck because Fordham, and I don't care if LaSalle makes it back to the dance or who's ass Phil Martelli will now kiss while his teams get their's handed to them.

Sorry brew.
    Yea, I sort of feel this way. I mean I am a big basketball fan, so I will probably check in on the standings occasionally and watch a game here or there, but I'm invested in a new league now. I do agree that VCU will be the top dog now (still wish they were in the Big East, they'd be an awesome basketball addition) and I disagree about the potential of George Mason, even though I am not a Hewitt fan. But in the end, I don't care all that much.

I will care about the A-10 about as much as I care about every league not named the Big East (and as much as I cared about every league not named the A-10 previously). That is, some, but not all that much. It's still going to be a pretty good league even without us. A multi-bid league most years for sure.

Is Temple not in next year? And they leave the same year Charlotte leaves too right?

VCU should kill that league year in and year out.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Temple's in the AAC for all sports next year.

A10's Future

Yes, Temple joins the AAC next year as a full member. According to one article they are a front runner to host the AAC tournament - to be held at the Palestra. "They wanted to still hold the tournament in a historically relevant arena".

ETA: XU95 - you are right, I subconciously wrote ACC. I'm so used to ACC, and haven't really gotten used to AAC yet, it just comes out that way...
    Last edited by coasterville95; 05-01-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    - David Bowers ('95)

Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post
    Yes, Temple joins the AAC next year as a full member. According to one article they are a front runner to host the ACC tournament - to be held at the Palestra. "They wanted to still hold the tournament in a historically relevant arena".
    You are doing exactly what UC is hoping the media does and that is confuse them with the ACC. Bad, bad, coasterville.

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    You are doing exactly what UC is hoping the media does and that is confuse them with the ACC. Bad, bad, coasterville.
    There may be confusion in the acronym. There will be no confusion on the basketball court.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post
    Yes, Temple joins the AAC next year as a full member. According to one article they are a front runner to host the ACC tournament - to be held at the Palestra. "They wanted to still hold the tournament in a historically relevant arena".
    Interesting. I believe the Palestra only seats about 8500. Louisville and UConn will be in the AAC next year. I would think they'd need a bigger place. II think it would be great, but I just can't see Memphis, Temple, UConn, Louisville and Cincinnati playing a tournament in the Palestra.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White