Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

30 second shot clock could be coming

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

At a May 2 meeting, the NCAA Board of Directors will vote on moving up the start of practice by two to three weeks (would be Sept. 27 or Oct. 4 this season). And the following week in Indianapolis, the men's basketball rules committee will vote on moving the shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds.

After taking an informal poll of 37 Division I coaches Monday morning, the consensus among that community seems to be "yes" for both.

Three more weeks of practice? Is the season going to start sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Three more weeks of practice? Is the season going to start sooner?
    Probably not. It will most likely remain the second friday in November. The women can start practice 40 days before their first game. This would pretty much just be matching that.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

That sucks for the players.

Yeah. Well, instead of "voluntary workouts" they'll have mandatory practice. They probably won't notice the difference.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the shot clock 30 sec.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Since (I think) minor league/college baseball and college football essentially play the same game as the pro's, I would be in favor of the pro shot clock for college and moving the three point line back so the games are essentially the same. The only thing left would be the 48 minutes vs. 40. Heck, that would be nice too.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the shot clock 30 sec.
    Disagree. 30 second shot clock isn't going to make players better shooters.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

I had heard rumbling about shortening the shot clock during March Madness, so that doesn't come as a total shock. Pros play a 24 second clock I beleive, with 10 seconds to get it over the time line that would really change the game. Essentially no time to really setup plays, or pass the ball around repetedly looking for the best shot. Quicken the pace of the game, which can't be a bad thing, particularly after seeing game scoring regress into the 50's for final scores. I'm not as sold on the 8 extra minutes, particulalry after this past season. We throught they were struggling to get through 40? Wait, I'm a fan paying ticket prices, give me the extra 8 minutes a game!

I'm sure the extra week or two of practice is just finally legalizing what had been happening with "voluntaries" and isnt there something about a coach can meet with up to 4 players (reasoning being 5 makes a team) in the off-season. Why am I envisioning a carefully drawn up schedule so that the rights combinations of 4 just happen to show up every 30-45 minutes.
    - David Bowers ('95)

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    I thought it was 8 seconds to get it over midcourt in the NBA now.