Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is in the water up there?

Parties out of control, bad and structurally unsound housing and now people falling/jumping from the balconies. I thought Dayton people always say how great it is up there. Apparently not so much.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...-dorm-building

It's probably a coincidence, but that is a very bizarre and unfortunate coincidence.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

What is in the water up there?

This happened to a pledge in my fraternity on pinning night back when I was in school.
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning

I don't think there are balconies on that building. This one was at 4:30 in the afternoon. With very limited information, this sounds like a troubled student.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    I don't think there are balconies on that building. This one was at 4:30 in the afternoon. With very limited information, this sounds like a troubled student.
    Correct on the no balconies

Well that's a brilliant move.

I'm not a psychologist, so if this sounds ignorant or incensitive, I apoligize.

I've heard people say that some suicide attempts are just a cry for help. If that is true, then I think someone attempting suicide would do it in a way where there is a high probability of being caught before they're able to go through with it.

I've known people who attempted suicide...or claim that they have. I also know one person who did kill themselves. The thing about the person that did kill himself is that in the day or two leading up to it, he seemed completely at ease. Even happy. A friend of mine that is a counselor said this is a common symptom because in the mind of the person, they see suicide as a way of working out and resolving whatever conflicts they have, and it actually puts them at ease. That actually makes some sense to me.

This is what I don't get. If it's a cry for help, then chances are the person want someone to stop them . If it's a genuine desire to be dead, then the person doesn't want anyone to know and they'll want to do something that will assure death. Jumping off of a six story building doesn't seem to me to fall into either category. Is it a "cry for help?" They actually did go through with it, so maybe not. But, was it a legitimate attempt?? The reason I cant' help but ask is because falling six floors does not assure death. It can certainly cause death, but not all the time. You may just end up hurting yourself really badly.

For something like that to happen twice in a week......it just seems very strange.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm not a psychologist, so if this sounds ignorant or incensitive, I apoligize.

I've heard people say that some suicide attempts are just a cry for help. If that is true, then I think someone attempting suicide would do it in a way where there is a high probability of being caught before they're able to go through with it.

I've known people who attempted suicide...or claim that they have. I also know one person who did kill themselves. The thing about the person that did kill himself is that in the day or two leading up to it, he seemed completely at ease. Even happy. A friend of mine that is a counselor said this is a common symptom because in the mind of the person, they see suicide as a way of working out and resolving whatever conflicts they have, and it actually puts them at ease. That actually makes some sense to me.

This is what I don't get. If it's a cry for help, then chances are the person want someone to stop them . If it's a genuine desire to be dead, then the person doesn't want anyone to know and they'll want to do something that will assure death. Jumping off of a six story building doesn't seem to me to fall into either category. Is it a "cry for help?" They actually did go through with it, so maybe not. But, was it a legitimate attempt?? The reason I cant' help but ask is because falling six floors does not assure death. It can certainly cause death, but not all the time. You may just end up hurting yourself really badly.

For something like that to happen twice in a week......it just seems very strange.
    I hope saying this isn't out of line, but the kid who did die is a Cincinnati native. Those who know him and were close to him are convinced he did not and would not commit suicide. I have heard conflicting rumors on whether or not he was pledging a fraternity, but many believe this had something to do with it. Regardless of how, his family and friends believe he was accidentally or purposefully pushed out of the window. They have even hired the attorney who handled the FAMU band hazing case to represent them.

If this post is deemed inappropriate due to conjecture or just sensitivity, please feel free to delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD86 View Post
    Those who know him and were close to him are convinced he did not and would not commit suicide.
    I could never understand how anyone could ever say something like that with any certainty.
    Last edited by kyxu; 04-23-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I could never understand how anyone could ever say something like that with any certainty.
    So everyone you know you could envision killing themselves?