Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Davidson next for A10?

Jeff Goodman (CBS) tweets that "the a10 is close to adding Davidson" per "sources"

Again, would not be surprise as George Mason and Davidson were the runners up when Butler and VCU got the nod.
    - David Bowers ('95)

Davidson is a fantastic addition. It's good for both the A10 and for Davidson. They're losing three starters, and it kind of sucks that it appears they're going to be at the bottom of their talent cycle as they enter the Atlantic Ten, but they've had some very good teams that flew under the radar due to them being in the SoCon. They were very good this past year, and would have likely made the Sweet Sixteen had they not gone ice cold in the last five minutes of their game against Marquette. They did the same thing late in the second half out at New Mexico earlier in the year. It just sucks for them that they were a good shooting team, and their two biggest dry spells came in two of their biggest games. Still, it's a good program that will be competitive right away.

I'm not nearly as big on George Mason. They were bad before Larranaga, and they made a ridiculously bad hire after he left. They may not be good again for awhile.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I would guess Davidson will struggle in the A10. They are a small school (less than 2000) and a perfect fit for part of the SoCon.
    (the other part...larger state schools that play football...are gradually leaving)
    Watched them play a lot as they visited Wofford each year...through Curry and onto now.
    Very, very well coached team. But they'll have to ramp up their recruiting as they can't depend on one player to carry them through the A10 schedule.
    Which may necessitate a cultural change for more academic at-risk players than they are use to bringing in.
    Should be interesting to watch if they get in the A10.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I would guess Davidson will struggle in the A10. They are a small school (less than 2000) and a perfect fit for part of the SoCon.
    (the other part...larger state schools that play football...are gradually leaving)
    Watched them play a lot as they visited Wofford each year...through Curry and onto now.
    Very, very well coached team. But they'll have to ramp up their recruiting as they can't depend on one player to carry them through the A10 schedule.
    Which may necessitate a cultural change for more academic at-risk players than they are use to bringing in.
    Should be interesting to watch if they get in the A10.
    If you've watched them as much as it sounds like you have, wouldn't you agree that they don't rely on one player?? They're always balanced and deep. The Curry years were the exception.

The thing that strikes me about Davidson is the sheer number of near misses they seem to have. Just this year alone, New Mexico is a place where top ten teams would struggle, and Davidson almost won there and should have won their. Marquette was arguably a top ten team, and Davidson blew that. It seems as though they are way undermatched, or in over their heads. The Atlantic Ten strikes me as being just right for them right now. They'll struggle, especially next year after losing three of their better players, but in the end I think it will make them a lot better. VCU didn't dominate the conference, but still ended up far better off than they would have been had they been dominating the Colonial. The A10 isn't a leage of superpowers, but it is still a league where the teams who rise to the top of it will be safely in the field. That's not the case with the SoCon. The best a team can hope for is to knock off some heavyweights out of conference, and then go through the tedium of trying to avoid a bad loss in conference. It typically doesn't even provide opportunities for top 100 wins, much less wins against teams that are on the bubble or inside the field.

I think they'll do just fine in the A-10. They don't need to ramp up their recruiting at all. They teams they've had the last ten years would all (or almost all) have finished in the top half of the A-10, and some of them would have challenged for the league title.

i believe they will struggle unless they lower the academic requirement. Remind me a little of Princeton.
    Got a good system with a long term coach. Extremely disciplined team ball. Having a Curry took them to another level.
    Took them 2 years to recover, and they play mostly 200/300 rpi teams in league.
    Get to watch them some, and it is good basketball; but I think they will struggle going through 16 games of A10 ball.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I seriously doubt Davidson will lower their academic standards. It's Davidson.

2023 Sweet 16

I will definitely be rooting for Davidson in the Atlantic Ten. I can't help but think they're going to become much more indelible on the college basketball map. They do a great job developing their players, and as they lose their better players, the guys that take their place seem to end up topping them. They'll be pretty good again next year despite losing three starters, and playing in the Atlantic Ten the following year will reduce the number of games against sub 200 teams, and increase their chances of getting noticed.

I like Davidson and I think this is a great pickup for the A-10. I have to say the conference is doing a good job of backfilling. Which I love because it means Dayton should generally remain a middling average/above average member.