Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    With Remy Abell on board and Dee not being a captain, what are the odds that Dee is the odd man out? I think Dee gets PT next year especially at the beginning, but I see that time diminish as the year goes on and maybe disappear in 2014-15 year with Sumner possibly coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    With Remy Abell on board and Dee not being a captain, what are the odds that Dee is the odd man out? I think Dee gets PT next year especially at the beginning, but I see that time diminish as the year goes on and maybe disappear in 2014-15 year with Sumner possibly coming.
    I think the odds are pretty low.

Or.... he could get better and play a ton of minutes?
    Not singling anyone out but I love the posts that always involve an upper classman getting passed over by the latest recruit before that recruit has laced a single shoe for the university. The analogy always assume the new guy will be awesome and that the upperclassman will either regress or not continue to improve.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Or.... he could get better and play a ton of minutes?
    Not singling anyone out but I love the posts that always involve an upper classman getting passed over by the latest recruit before that recruit has laced a single shoe for the university. The analogy always assume the new guy will be awesome and that the upperclassman will either regress or not continue to improve.
    Fact of the matter, it's not just one recruit it's two. One is top 80 and the other is a fringe 100 guy. Next year for Dee's senior year, those two will have a year of seasoning and we will add a 6'4 shooting guard and 6'3 PG to the mix. Add to that the rumors of a transfer out and to me anyway he becomes the obvious choice. Grumble all you want, the off season and speculation go hand in hand.

Fact of the matter, it's not just one recruit it's two. One is top 80 and the other is a fringe 100 guy. Next year for Dee's senior year, those two will have a year of seasoning and we will add a 6'4 shooting guard and 6'3 PG to the mix. Add to that the rumors of a transfer out and to me anyway he becomes the obvious choice. Grumble all you want, the off season and speculation go hand in hand.
    Actually, the fact of the matter is that rankings aside, nobody knows how the hell it will pan out, and Muskie's observation is legit. A lot of people are quick to write off guys in the program for unproven (albeit talented) recruits. Dee was a talented recruit who was nationally ranked too. There's no reason to doubt his best basketball is ahead of him. If he's passed over because the other guys are just way too good not to play ahead of him, great. But that's less likely than not.

Re: Next years captains are

On this board, people always seem to expect the stars to improve their game between seasons (i.e. Semaj's perimeter shooting and left hand), yet they don't expect the same from role players, despite their greater room for improvement. Mack has said that Dee is going to have to limit his turnovers in the future in order to improve his game. That's something that point guards generally improve from year to year, as they determine what defenses will let them get away with. I don't see why the same would be unlikely for Dee.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Sophomore
    The funny thing about bringing up recruiting rankings when making the point that Randolph and/or Sumner could/should overtake Dee is that depending on what service you go by there were all rated very similarly.

For example rivals rated Dee the 23rd best PG and 123rd best player in his class.

Randolph is currently rated the 36th best PG and 146th best player in his class

Sumner is not rated at his position and is the 111th best prospect in his class.

On scout Dee Davis was rated the 19th best PG in his class.

Randolph is rated as the 15th best PG by scout.

Sumner is rated as the 23rd best SG

I personally don't put much stock in the recruiting rankings because I think they are way too subjective and have way too many nonbasketball related influences, but since the point being made was that Randolph and Sumner's ranking should show they'll easily overtake Dee I thought people would find those rankings interesting.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    The funny thing about bringing up recruiting rankings when making the point that Randolph and/or Sumner could/should overtake Dee is that depending on what service you go by there were all rated very similarly.

For example rivals rated Dee the 23rd best PG and 123rd best player in his class.

Randolph is currently rated the 36th best PG and 146th best player in his class

Sumner is not rated at his position and is the 111th best prospect in his class.

On scout Dee Davis was rated the 19th best PG in his class.

Randolph is rated as the 15th best PG by scout.

Sumner is rated as the 23rd best SG

I personally don't put much stock in the recruiting rankings because I think they are way too subjective and have way too many nonbasketball related influences, but since the point being made was that Randolph and Sumner's ranking should show they'll easily overtake Dee I thought people would find those rankings interesting.
    Let's also keep in mind that Dee only played in two AAU events after his senior year and didn't play the circuit and dropped in his rankings. This year should be a good year for Xavier and Dee. Dee and Semaj were asked to play a lot of minutes this year with no backup help, having some help should only make everyone more efficient.

I remember Dee being ranked as high as #72 overall on rivals. He was not a neglected prospect.

I'm a bit leery of talk of Dee being passed over. Never underestimate a veteran point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I remember Dee being ranked as high as #72 overall on rivals. He was not a neglected prospect.

I'm a bit leery of talk of Dee being passed over. Never underestimate a veteran point guard.
    After watching Dee for 2 years, I can say without any hesitation that he's not the high level PG that we need to win in the BE.

He'll be nice to have his senior year if Semaj goes pro after next year (which I say is about a 95% chance he will).

He can help bridge the gap and spell Randolph at times. Sumner will also be in the fold, but as a frosh I dont see him getting many minutes....they may even redshirt him.