Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Anyone recall why Sim chose to decommit from Xavier? What made him decide on New Mexico State?
    Like Davis and Reynolds this year, Sim was a complete non-qulafier as a freshman and would have had to pay his own way for a year. He and his family chose NMSU since it was far less expensive than X. That's the story I remember at least.

Edit: Casual Fan beat me to it.

NMSU also had some history with Canadian players and an assistant that knew the system and how to get guys eligible who played in Canada and the US.

I watched Sim in the WAC tournament and the NCAAs against SLU and project doesn't even begin. I think he's probably at the right level for his development at this point and I don't know if he would have ever been useful for XU.

Yes, he takes the term "risk/reward project" to an unprecedented level, but I still would have taken a chance on him. Now I'd rather have Stainbrook for sure, and I can't remember exactly how it panned out, but I do know that Erik Stenger was on scholarship and Chris Cantino was given a roster spot. I definitely would've taken my chances on Sim's ceiling with those things in mind, fully understanding the several risks you take when you actually put him in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    Yes, he takes the term "risk/reward project" to an unprecedented level, but I still would have taken a chance on him. Now I'd rather have Stainbrook for sure, and I can't remember exactly how it panned out, but I do know that Erik Stenger was on scholarship and Chris Cantino was given a roster spot. I definitely would've taken my chances on Sim's ceiling with those things in mind, fully understanding the several risks you take when you actually put him in the lineup.
    I'm not saying Stainbrook's going to be bad or anything. But the Hype Machine is in full force on here for him. We've not seen him play one minute of basketball (and I doubt his WMU footage is of any use at this point).
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

It sure would be nice if these kids would spend the time in high school getting the necessary help/grades to do away with all these qualification problems.
    They're probably too busy tweeting and listening to some AAU sneaker guy.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I'm not saying Stainbrook's going to be bad or anything. But the Hype Machine is in full force on here for him. We've not seen him play one minute of basketball (and I doubt his WMU footage is of any use at this point).
    Well, we know he scored 18 @ Duke, 14 against Temple and 20 against Co. and jacked up the Jack Rabbits for 32. Not much of a track record, but it could be some indication he can play a little.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Fair enough, but I am willing to all but guarantee that Stainbrook is going to be one of our best players next year. Usually hype with transfers is based on talent in the open gyms and numbers from previous years at other schools. The things I love hearing about Stainbrook is his basketball IQ (which I've heard is the best on the team), his work ethic to lose all that weight, and his skill for a guy that size. I see him being a very productive player for us, and even in the absolute worst case, he will give us more next year than Sim would've at this stage.

From what I saw of Sim in the NCAA I'd say he is where he belongs. The man is simply too big and slow even after a full season of colleege ball to fit into any system requiring the ability to RUN the court. On five occasions I watched him arrive at the offensive end in time to see the ball go through the nets and he just turned around and startyed to jog to the defensive spot. Three opponents were past him when he reached the top of the defensive key. But on one occasion he rejected a shot that the other team's player waited a couple of seconds too long to take. The guy may make some money overseas but I don't think we'll ever see him in the league. I'm not usually that negative but I think it's his brother who will be the star.

Semaj Christon - Freshman All-American

I think this staff wants to run and Sim may have been counter productive.
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by ballyhoohoo View Post
    I think this staff wants to run and Sim may have been counter productive.
    True but you always want different pieces in your chess set to counter your opponent.
    Balls of Steele!!