Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East News

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    You take slu and Richmond to get St. Louis and Richmond marks. It's been about money, it's currently about money, and it will always be about money. The most money comes from tv broadcasts, and the more markets you have the more leverage Fox has in negotiating the deals with cable / satellite providers. That how fox gets paid. You need national programming interest, and you get that by connecting to as many markets as possible, and the wider the net the better the coverage. I think 12 for sure. Anything beyond that really requires a situational dependent analysis. ND availability would have to be something to consider, but few other situations would prompt those discussions
    If it was about Fox getting paid, then why didn't they go to 12 right away?
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    Why the need to expand so quickly?

We better hope we get good ratings right off the bat. Fox better have their marketing shit together from Day 1.
    Thats something that NOBODY seems to be focused on. Fox is taking on ESPN, and we've hitched ourselves to that. If Fox fails, what happens? How much leverage would we have with ESPN in that scenario. This whole thing has a fairly large downside, if it goes bad.

Risk is often measured by severity and likelihood I give a low likelihood that it all goes sideways but if it does, it could be a REAL problem.

And if the plan is to expand at all, then the best thing to do is act now. You dont want SLU and Richmond and UD and possibly VCU considering their options. The "old" BE, the MVC and the A10 are all pitted against each other right now for survival. Each conference is looking for depth and stability, and once achieved, it might get much tougher to pry out the teams we want. Strike now (soon) while everyone is in recovery mode.

Define right way.

It's known that they discussed going to 12 immediatly. It could just be an issue of logistics. Or it could be that they couldnt finalize which 2 would be added. But if they add 2 for the following year, wouldn't that constitute "right away"? It's not like it's 10 years later. They made all this happen in 3-4 months, so I'm thinking they just went with 10 for now due to the ability to manage the whole situation a bit better.

i like the idea of 12. heck I like the idea of 16. It appears that the conference leadership also likes 12 enough to have considered it as an option, and their current talking points do not rule it out in the near future.

i think we're all expecting 12 in the very near future, whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Sort of like Syracuse?

MOR, that is very interesting. The FOIA bug had been noted before, but from your comments is more than a rumor.
    This would seem to put Richmond on a good path if they decide to keep geographical balance if they go to 12.

Leaving the St Louis/Dayton cage match as the title bout.
    This is true. Someone did mention it as a possibility, but there has been no reporting on this issue. This is corroboration. And it makes sense.

Sorry, but that sounds like a poor excuse.

They have tied their ships to major collegiate athletics, and then want to be sure they can do it in secrecy?

What do they do in house that would spur NCAA investigations if they had to be more transparent?

Sorry I know you don't have the answers, and are just reporting the thinking...I just have a small problem in understanding what the why...it doesn't hold much water for me.
    I can see it being a factor. There is value in being able to manage your business without having to disclose everything you are doing to the public.

I doubt it has anything to do with NCAA investigations or things like that. It's much more likely the competitive business advantage one has from being able to do its work in private.

There is one school that I am convinced will not have D 1 football much longer if, and only if, the ACC falls apart.

And that's Wake.

Of course, I do not think the ACC will fall apart, which makes my opinion useless. But then again it's never been overall helpful either.
    I agree with this, and it was precisely the school I was thinking of when I mentioned that the conference may be playing a wait-and-see approach to see what happens with the ACC and the "sorta" football schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Would you rather have Wake Forest (sans Football and with Jeff Bezdelik (Sp)) or Saint Louis (with Jim Crews)?

I take SLU personally.
    I'd take Wake in a heartbeat. You don't disqualify a school to join a conference based on its current basketball coach. That said I don't think it would be Wake vs SLU. I think it would be Wake vs Richmond/VCU. SLU is competing with Dayton.

You take slu and Richmond to get St. Louis and Richmond marks. It's been about money, it's currently about money, and it will always be about money. The most money comes from tv broadcasts, and the more markets you have the more leverage Fox has in negotiating the deals with cable / satellite providers. That how fox gets paid. You need national programming interest, and you get that by connecting to as many markets as possible, and the wider the net the better the coverage. I think 12 for sure. Anything beyond that really requires a situational dependent analysis. ND availability would have to be something to consider, but few other situations would prompt those discussions
    OK, then why not take dayton? We can rag on them all we want, but you can't deny those people watch basketball in big numbers. Why not go down and get Barry University to check off the Miami market? Maybe grab Detroit Mercy and Robert Morris while we're at it. At the end of the day, it's about creating a quality basketball league. If the product is good, the rest will take care of itself. That's not to say the markets don't matter, or that they never will expand, but I don't see the need to rush into adding two teams, solely for their markets, that could legitimately end up being the next Seton Hall and Depaul. If they suck, how many people in those markets will be watching? If you think it doesn't matter how their local teams do and they'll watch anyway, then why not keep it as is? The best scenario for this league is not Fox beating ESPN in the next couple years, or grabbing as many big markets as possible. It's being great on the court. The rest will take care of itself if that happens.

On a completely unrelated note, this little lady in the middle had some small part in raising the standards of our program by sheparding many players through to graduation, and helping us along the "path to excellence" that is stopping in the Big East.

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Thats something that NOBODY seems to be focused on. Fox is taking on ESPN, and we've hitched ourselves to that. If Fox fails, what happens? How much leverage would we have with ESPN in that scenario. This whole thing has a fairly large downside, if it goes bad.
    Fox is giving us a contract for 12 years. If at any point Fox bails, do you not think ESPN or another network would pick up games that feature us Georgetown, Nova, Butler, etc?

There is a risk we are taking, but it's really not a big one. Fox has done pretty well taking risks and making them pay off.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015