Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East News

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I work at a private company, and the avoidance of public company headaches is a wonderful thing.

I'm not sure it should be enough to keep VCU out, but in general I'm sure the powers that be in the BE are thrilled to be fully private.
    You still have headaches. Nonprofit organizations still have to file 990, have audits, etc. These are not private companies driven to generate profits. They might act like companies driven to generate profits, but they are in fact nonprofit organizations.

To me, having nine Catholic schools put together a television deal worth half a billion dollars is something they don't want to have to discuss publicly, or have their emails summoned.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Of course there are still headaches. Knocking some extras off the list is fabulous, though. And I'm sure you're right on the second part, which I have no problem with.

I wouldn't let it keep out VCU.

I am not convinced Big East expansion to 12 will be anytime soon. My prognostication is that it will stay at 10 until Notre Dame tires of being a quasi-ACC member and moves its basketball and Olympic sports to their natural fit in the Big East. Then it will open up to add #12, which down the road could be any number of programs. Another no-brainer like Xavier is not out there currently, but through the rise and fall another program could demonstrate sustained success.

SLU has a lot of great features, but the long-term potential is not obvious yet. They have a serious shot at a run to the Final Four this year, but could also fall off the table.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

There's no way ND is moving to the Big East. The Olympic Sports and baseball in this league are gonna be bad. Real bad. ND is going to want no part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Apparently a new forum for Big East posts as well. Thanks Muskie - hope these also show up among recent posts as well.
    Should be working.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Of course there are still headaches. Knocking some extras off the list is fabulous, though. And I'm sure you're right on the second part, which I have no problem with.

I wouldn't let it keep out VCU.
    I feel the same way. I guess for me, it just sucks that VCU isn't considered.

I'm totally with PMI on the SLU thing. If you wanted an example of a program that will fall back to whatever it was before, look no further than SLU.

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    I am not convinced Big East expansion to 12 will be anytime soon. My prognostication is that it will stay at 10 until Notre Dame tires of being a quasi-ACC member and moves its basketball and Olympic sports to their natural fit in the Big East. Then it will open up to add #12, which down the road could be any number of programs. Another no-brainer like Xavier is not out there currently, but through the rise and fall another program could demonstrate sustained success.

SLU has a lot of great features, but the long-term potential is not obvious yet. They have a serious shot at a run to the Final Four this year, but could also fall off the table.
    There is one school that I am convinced will not have D 1 football much longer if, and only if, the ACC falls apart.

And that's Wake.

Of course, I do not think the ACC will fall apart, which makes my opinion useless. But then again it's never been overall helpful either.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    There is one school that I am convinced will not have D 1 football much longer if, and only if, the ACC falls apart.

And that's Wake.

Of course, I do not think the ACC will fall apart, which makes my opinion useless. But then again it's never been overall helpful either.
    Would you rather have Wake Forest (sans Football and with Jeff Bezdelik (Sp)) or Saint Louis (with Jim Crews)?

I take SLU personally.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

SLU was solid in C-USA with Spoon and with Romar.

I think they're a fine 11/12 member. They're better than DePaul (not a high bar). But if we stick at 10 and don't add them, I'd be just fine with that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    They have tied their ships to major collegiate athletics, and then want to be sure they can do it in secrecy?
    I get that you don't think it should be a concern, but it apparently is for those making the decisions because it's an issue I'd heard discussed before.

Personally I think the "institutional fit" explanation is good enough to eliminate VCU even though they tick all the other boxes. But I'm the kind of crotchety person who thinks stuff like that should matter.
    Last edited by danaandvictory; 03-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.