Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East News

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Snoopy press that could also precipitate NCAA investigations and too much info on financial dealings. Also may compromise the schools' abilities to handle things in house.

And they didn't like the way that the old league had to report.
    Sorry, but that sounds like a poor excuse.

They have tied their ships to major collegiate athletics, and then want to be sure they can do it in secrecy?

What do they do in house that would spur NCAA investigations if they had to be more transparent?

Sorry I know you don't have the answers, and are just reporting the thinking...I just have a small problem in understanding what the why...it doesn't hold much water for me.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Paul,

You aren't the only one to mention the mythical cage war to get that final spot.

It would an interesting game of musical chairs if SLU/Dayton/Richmond are told there are only going to be 2 chairs when the music stops. High stakes musical chairs.

UD Pride is seeming to calm down (except for a few outliers) - as someone else posted the few rational fans seem to understand where they went wrong. Right now, its the SLU board that is in jilted lover mode. Though my hardiest laugh was one from one of the UC boards, a post that actually expressed the news as if UC was turning its back on the Big East. Like UC is in control, and that those other schools just don't understand the value of football. I haven't gone back to see if other posters called the person out for being so delussional the reservation is in a different country. Stuff like "We gave up on the Big East because it wasn't filling our needs as a big time football program"

I've heard the FOI aka Sunshine laws as a major hurdle for VCU from other sources. There is value in keeping everything private. Recall when a certain Lexus driving racoon left, due to sunshine laws a PDF of his lucrative new contract was in our hands within hours.
    - David Bowers ('95)

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    It seems to me that one should be more wary of the types of situations that seemingly have been occurring at institutions like Syracuse University for quite some time. (Syracuse is a private institution and the impending investigation of those Boeheim scandals could have seriously affected the reputations of the other members of the old Big East by association).

Shit happens!!!
    Exactly.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Hey did you guys know that MOR had a meeting with "high level Xavier peeps" on Monday? I think this is the third or fourth time I have read that.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post

UD Pride is seeming to calm down .
    Though the Worst Day In Flyer History thread is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    Hey did you guys know that MOR had a meeting with "high level Xavier peeps" on Monday? I think this is the third or fourth time I have read that.
    Almost like some other poster yammering about his seat location back in November?
    - David Bowers ('95)

Please just leave it at ten if they are hellbent on keeping VCU out for being public. I seriously don't get the SLU love at all. I mean, I really see them as just as big a risk as dayton. Majerus is dead, and his players will be gone soon. Who's to say they won't just go back to being what they've ALWAYS been? Plus, they have some APR problems right now. Nice arena from what I hear, but as much as we all hate dayton, you can't say they don't draw support, so it's not like SLU has some huge advantage over them there. I just don't see any private school no-brainers left out there. Isn't the point to strengthen the conference?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    Sorry, but that sounds like a poor excuse.

They have tied their ships to major collegiate athletics, and then want to be sure they can do it in secrecy?

What do they do in house that would spur NCAA investigations if they had to be more transparent?

Sorry I know you don't have the answers, and are just reporting the thinking...I just have a small problem in understanding what the why...it doesn't hold much water for me.
    When you are private, what you do and why you do it is nobody's business. When public, what you do is everyone's business, then they get to search for a motive on why you did what you did. Huge drawbacks being public.

If you've ever work for a publicly traded company AND a private company in the Finance or other Corporate areas you would know exactly how painful it is to have govt / auditors / regulators peering over your shoulder at every turn.

Answer this question. If faced with 2 equal job offers, where one requires that your salary and performance rating be publicly disclosed, and the other did not, which would you take.

I work at a private company, and the avoidance of public company headaches is a wonderful thing.

I'm not sure it should be enough to keep VCU out, but in general I'm sure the powers that be in the BE are thrilled to be fully private.

Print edition of Jacksonville paper has a large article titled, "Xavier moves up to new Big East." It's an AP article. And it's almost all about Xavier.

Just found that wonderful and interesting this morning. Highly complimentary...."a (Jesuit) school that developed a nationally prominent program", etc.

Found it under a different banner in the San Antonio paper:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/a...st-4370414.php
    Last edited by xudash; 03-21-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    X A V I E R