Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East News

Big East News

As there is no longer a Catholic 7, here's a thread for general Big East news.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Apparently a new forum for Big East posts as well. Thanks Muskie - hope these also show up among recent posts as well.

I did see that ESPN put up the story on their BB page with a video of some lady doing a phone interview with Dana O'Neil.
    They tried hard to be neutral...didn't quite get there.

From St Louis paper this morning:

Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell reported Sunday that a Big East source told him that if the league got its operations in order quickly, it could add two more teams for next season and SLU was a leading candidate.
    Along with SLU, Dayton and Richmond are considered candidates to join the league. The league would probably take just one Midwest school to keep a regional balance, though the possibility remains of expanding beyond 12 teams.
    If SLU and one of the others go, Datyon would be a real geographical outlier for the A10 unless they added schools in the midwest. Maybe Dayton would go to the MVC to replace Creighton.

It would seem that 12 is still possible for next year, and that Richmond/VCU would be in the mix to balance the geography.
    Other articles noted the confernce had applications from a number of schools.
    It might be a SLU/Dayton and Richmond/VCU cage war at this point.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...965bce7ad.html

Ok.

For now, enough of the VCU talk.

One item that has not been brought out, but is a significant fly in the ointment about VCU- and was related to me at the meeting that I attended Monday night with high level Xavier folks:

VCU is a public institution that is subject to sunshine laws as to public disclosure of documents. This extends to everything including the athletic programs. One of the things that the Big East Presidents are wanting to have is privacy- especially when it comes to financial dealings- so they don't have to worry about snoopy press. They have that with all private institutions who are not subject to disclosure. If VCU is let in, then every document that is related to league dealings becomes publically available through freedom of information.

Not saying that VCU is totally out forever, but this is a huge strike against them, besides the concern over institutional fit.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Why is that a big deal if they left a conference that had public institutions?

I don't get the privacy needs.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post

Snoopy press that could also precipitate NCAA investigations and too much info on financial dealings. Also may compromise the schools' abilities to handle things in house.

And they didn't like the way that the old league had to report.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sort of like Syracuse?

MOR, that is very interesting. The FOIA bug had been noted before, but from your comments is more than a rumor.
    This would seem to put Richmond on a good path if they decide to keep geographical balance if they go to 12.

Leaving the St Louis/Dayton cage match as the title bout.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post

I agree, DC.

Also, one might ask the folks who have used this excuse to exclude VCU to name some of the instances when serious negative consequences resulted from the press or other agencies getting information from a public institution that affected that institution's private partners.

It seems to me that one should be more wary of the types of situations that seemingly have been occurring at institutions like Syracuse University for quite some time. (Syracuse is a private institution and the impending investigation of those Boeheim scandals could have seriously affected the reputations of the other members of the old Big East by association).

Shit happens!!!

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Sort of like Syracuse?

MOR, that is very interesting. The FOIA bug had been noted before, but from your comments is more than a rumor.
    This would seem to put Richmond on a good path if they decide to keep geographical balance if they go to 12.

Leaving the St Louis/Dayton cage match as the title bout.
    And this is what will happen to Dayton...