Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye St Joes

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Why the hate for him? Did he do something that I am not aware of?
    For me, he preaches too much. Back in the Matta era where people booed when we lost to SJU, he got up in press conference and lectured the fans about booing. Like booing is the worst thing that people do at sporting events.

The following year, I sat in Hawk Hill where we made a tremendous comeback and won. Hawk fans started tossing water bottles on the court. Matta removed the team off the court. What did Phil say after that game? Nothing.

He will tell you how to act, but keep his loud mouth shut when his fans do something that is 100 times more egregious.

Xavier fans love him because he kisses our collective ass. I've never seen anyone joke so much about getting his ass handed to him. "When does Stanley Burrell graduate?" Ha! That's hilarious. Hammer is a Champion, something you are not Phil.

He has had talent, and since 2004, he hasn't produced squat. He had Ahmad Nivins, easily one of the best big men in the conference for years, became A10 player of the year, and Phil led that team to a 9-7 finish. Built nothing off the following year when they crapped out in the first year of the Dance.

Since the Hawks went to the NIT finals in 2005, here's how they have finished in the A10:

9-7
    9-7
    9-7
    9-7
    5-11
    4-12
    9-7

He never has finished better than 5th. This season the Hawks were picked to win the conference. We saw how they ended.

Oh and then there is the Todd O'Brien incident. The lovable, highly overrated coach decided that Todd O'Brien couldn't transfer as a graduate student because...well who the hell knows. O'Brien averaged like 3 minutes a game while the Hawks raced to a 5-11 A10 season in 2010. O'Brien wanted to go to UAB so he could sit the bench there and get his advanced degree, but Good 'Ole Phil would have none of it. He denied the transfer then hid behind privacy laws that "he couldn't about the issue."

Basically he's a fraud. His coaches who helped him in that six year stretch when the Hawks were actual contenders have left, and Phil has replaced them with crap.

I like St. Joe's I really do. They deserve better than Martelli.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

I was going to say that I liked Phil Martelli, but DC made a pretty compelling case against it.

I did think it was nice that his first comments after they beat us in the A-10 tournament was about how bad he felt for Philmore for missing that bunny.

His coaching resume definitely sucks though.
    Eat Donuts!

I forgot about that O'Brien case. Yeah, that was complete horse shit on Martelli's part.

O'Brien never could keep a commitment. How many schools again? He lets Martelli know so late that there's no way of replacing him? I wouldn't blame Martelli if he did block his transfer. And there really are privacy laws. "Hiding behind" them is kinda part of the deal.

Goodbye St Joes

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    O'Brien never could keep a commitment. How many schools again? He lets Martelli know so late that there's no way of replacing him? I wouldn't blame Martelli if he did block his transfer. And there really are privacy laws. "Hiding behind" them is kinda part of the deal.
    This. After all I read on the case, I don't blame Martelli or SJU at all. Didn't somebody here post the NCAA rule that prevents a kid from doing what O'Brien was trying to do? Seemed pretty cut and dry to me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimKibbles View Post
    This. After all I read on the case, I don't blame Martelli or SJU at all. Didn't somebody here post the NCAA rule that prevents a kid from doing what O'Brien was trying to do? Seemed pretty cut and dry to me.
    You can't be serious.

How exactly could O'Brien never keep a commitment? He was on the team and told the AD that he was going to transfer, the AD said fine and Martelli said not fine. He told Martelli before the summer classes that THEY enrolled him in. Did Martelli really have no way of filling those three minutes of each game so his team would finish 4-12? Martelli wanted to screw a terrible bench player. He was pretty good at screwing up really good players, so maybe he wanted a new challenge.

Nothing O'Brien did was against NCAA rules. SJU had to approve the transfer and they didn't. He was gone anyway, and what exactly did Martelli and SJU prove by denying this kid a chance to sit the bench at UAB? Nothing. Who wants to play for a guy who would deny you a chance to transfer if you wanted to?

As for the privacy laws, O'Brien's lawyers signed a waiver that allowed SJU to talk about the situation. Martelli chose not to talk about it, so the entire premise of "is kinda part of the deal" doesn't apply here.

Sophomore
    O'Brien transferred from Bucknell to St. Joe's.

"The student-athlete may not have transferred previously from another four-year institution unless he or she transferred previously and received an exception to the transfer residence requirement because his or her institution either discontinued the sport or did not sponsor the sport in which the student-athlete is a participant."

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    O'Brien transferred from Bucknell to St. Joe's.

"The student-athlete may not have transferred previously from another four-year institution unless he or she transferred previously and received an exception to the transfer residence requirement because his or her institution either discontinued the sport or did not sponsor the sport in which the student-athlete is a participant."
    Yes, so O'Brien did nothing wrong. He sought the transfer and didn't get it.

Also, need I remind everyone that scholarships are one year commitments, and O'Brien fulfilled it when he went to SJU. Seriously this kid is 7 foot tall and terrible and wanted to go somewhere else and sit the bench. Martelli had no plans to use him, even though he is an incredible mediocre coach. He didn't grant the transfer, because Phil likes to make sure you understand how ethical he is.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    Yes, so O'Brien did nothing wrong. He sought the transfer and didn't get it.

Also, need I remind everyone that scholarships are one year commitments, and O'Brien fulfilled it when he went to SJU. Seriously this kid is 7 foot tall and terrible and wanted to go somewhere else and sit the bench. Martelli had no plans to use him, even though he is an incredible mediocre coach. He didn't grant the transfer, because Phil likes to make sure you understand how ethical he is.
    If I'm interpreting the rule I posted correctly, he couldn't have received the transfer anyway because Bucknell still plays basketball. I don't care one way or the other, but that's the way the rule reads to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    If I'm interpreting the rule I posted correctly, he couldn't have received the transfer anyway because Bucknell still plays basketball. I don't care one way or the other, but that's the way the rule reads to me.
    You can transfer a billion times if you want. This is America. You just have to get a waiver the second time around.