Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I just may not be privy to some of the information that other people are on this board (which wouldnt surprise me). How does one know how hard of a worker BJ Raymond was as a sophomore at XU and that it is much better than how hard Justin Martin works?

Sometimes I really do think when we are looking back at a former Xavier player and the career he had we tend to only remember the end and how good it was. I think the same will happen with Justin when all said and done.

BJ Raymond averaged 12 and 13 mins as a frosh and soph and 3.4 and 4.1 PPG those two years. Also had FG% of 38.8 and 40.3 and 3point% of 30.6 and actually 45 (his best year. Also had a 63% and 41% FT shooting %.

I tend to believe not many people remember that BJ Raymond. And that is where JMart is in his career.
    I agree with you in general, that people tend to remember the end of players' careers, and that a lot of people don't remember BJ Raymond as an underclassman in particular. Thing is, I do remember it very clearly. BJ was a year below me and I had the luxury of following his teams as closely as any Xavier teams in my time. BJ Raymond was a gym rat. He wanted it. Miller pushed him particularly hard as he was his first recruit -- his guy-- and knew how much better we could be with him playing well. I feel like Martin has similarities in that sense. Of the guys left, he's really Mack's first recruit. He could be very good, and the difference in our team's "ceiling" when he's playing well versus when he's not is monumental. I just believe, based on both, say, an educated guess, and a hunch, that he has to really make some changes in how badly he wants it, and how badly he wants to work for it. By no means am I saying Martin can't do it. In fact, I'm saying he can in a big way. I just need to see it to rest easy. I absolutely think he could be as good or better than Raymond IF he takes a similar approach to Raymond. I also realize that it takes a special kind of desire to do that, and that it's not just a light switch you can flick on whenever it's a convenient time for you or the team. We've been lucky as hell with how many of our players get that hunger, especially later in their careers, but it is by no means a forgone conclusion, no matter how used to it we get. I want to see the gym rat turned baller version of Justin Martin very badly, and I hope we do. Our teams over the next couple of years could be really, really good if we get that.

I have no confidence in Martin. The best way to describe him is clumsy. You can work on defensive technique and rebounding position and shooting ( all of which it seems he doesnt practice whatsoever). But clumsy and slow cant be overcome. Hes just not good enough and never will be.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I have no confidence in Martin. The best way to describe him is clumsy. You can work on defensive technique and rebounding position and shooting ( all of which it seems he doesnt practice whatsoever). But clumsy and slow cant be overcome. Hes just not good enough and never will be.
    I am will bring this post up in two years. We shall see.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by X-ceptional View Post
    Ask and you shall receive! Click here to be taken to that layup in all its glory.

Click here to be taken to where all JCraw at Xavier highlights start--I shouldn't even have to tell you that it's worth your time to watch 'em all. Incredible.

One of my favorites though has to be this one at 3:44 where he just backs up and splashes one from 27 feet in udump dude's face... what a beast. And of course the KState 30 footer... good Lord, that guy can flat out play.
    While watching these I came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yvGq9B8X4 interview with Dan LeBatard. Go to 3:10 in the video and chek out the question and listen to the response. Bound to make some people on this board cringe I'm sure. Doesnt surprise me though.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I'm sure Jordan sent a body double to class that fooled Sr. Rose, and it's not that he got special treatment.

My classroom attendance wasn't exactly rock solid, either, so it doesn't really bother me. I think mandatory attendance policies in college are kind of silly. If you can take care of business while missing a few classes, more power to you. Maybe sleeping through class is a more efficient use of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'm sure Jordan sent a body double to class that fooled Sr. Rose, and it's not that he got special treatment.

My classroom attendance wasn't exactly rock solid, either, so it doesn't really bother me. I think mandatory attendance policies in college are kind of silly. If you can take care of business while missing a few classes, more power to you. Maybe sleeping through class is a more efficient use of your time.
    I completely agree GO.

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Jordan always used to be able to get away with his ridiculous shots and moves at the college level because he was always the most athletic guy on the court against college competition.

A 6 '4 SG shooting fadeaways, pullups and runners against NBA level athleticism - not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    While watching these I came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yvGq9B8X4 interview with Dan LeBatard. Go to 3:10 in the video and chek out the question and listen to the response. Bound to make some people on this board cringe I'm sure. Doesnt surprise me though.
    He was in my WEEKEND EPU class and went both days. So that's something. Granted it was a BS class and all we did was sit around and go to the Freedom Center.
    Lavender-Burrell 08'

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by mistabeecee41 View Post
    Jordan always used to be able to get away with his ridiculous shots and moves at the college level because he was always the most athletic guy on the court against college competition.

A 6 '4 SG shooting fadeaways, pullups and runners against NBA level athleticism - not so much.
    But he's still scoring, so he's doing something right.