Page 11 of 350 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    “@BRandolph3: To bad we going all the way next year. Remember dat. Tell em @SemajChriston”
    I love it. Absolutely love it.

I put this in the "Wet the Whistle" thread, but it is a tweet....so-

“@JoshLee_BAHoops: McGary came off the bench about 6-7 times last year. And the reason was Mitch said Jalen Reynolds was deserving.”
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I put this in the "Wet the Whistle" thread, but it is a tweet....so-

“@JoshLee_BAHoops: McGary came off the bench about 6-7 times last year. And the reason was Mitch said Jalen Reynolds was deserving.”
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Fan View Post
    "@BRandolph3: Looks nice huh? #3 http://t.co/WdwrIwwRjj"

Love that he'll be #3!
    “@BRandolph3: To bad we going all the way next year. Remember dat. Tell em @SemajChriston”
    Keep this up and my whistle won't be the only thing wetted...
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

“@CoachFlan: Refs control every game, you cannot convince me otherwise! And they do determine outcomes”

So speaks Eric Flannery, Head Basketball Coach of the St. Edward High School Eagles. A State Championship winning head coach, and a class act who never argues with refs.
    This is the smartest thing I've heard a coach say in quite some time. I don't understand why it's so taboo to complain about refereeing, especially in basketball where you see the poorest officiating at every level, in my opinion. People are allowed to say a coach was out coached or that a player played poorly, but if you say the refs did a terrible job, people say you're an excuse-maker. The truth is, whether people want to admit it or not, basketball referees routinely decide the outcomes of games, just as much as players or coaches do quite often. Bad calls can kill momentum, change the lineups on the floors, and sometimes just downright eliminate a team's chances of winning. But if coaches share their real opinions on them, they get fined. It's bullshit. I hate refs. Their jobs aren't easy, but I'm sick of the idea that you shouldn't blame refs when often times they deserve as much as or more of the blame than anyone else for outcomes.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    This is the smartest thing I've heard a coach say in quite some time. I don't understand why it's so taboo to complain about refereeing, especially in basketball where you see the poorest officiating at every level, in my opinion. People are allowed to say a coach was out coached or that a player played poorly, but if you say the refs did a terrible job, people say you're an excuse-maker. The truth is, whether people want to admit it or not, basketball referees routinely decide the outcomes of games, just as much as players or coaches do quite often. Bad calls can kill momentum, change the lineups on the floors, and sometimes just downright eliminate a team's chances of winning. But if coaches share their real opinions on them, they get fined. It's bullshit. I hate refs. Their jobs aren't easy, but I'm sick of the idea that you shouldn't blame refs when often times they deserve as much as or more of the blame than anyone else for outcomes.
    The problem is when people blame the refs after every loss and completely fail to recognize when refs may have actually won them a game. I dont disagree that refs affect a lot of games and that sucks but a lot of times fans, especially Xavier fans, complain about the refs after every loss. It doesnt ALWAYS go against you when refs mess up.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Truth. There's a ton of bad calls in college basketball (partly because some of the rules suck), and fans never remember the ones they get the benefit of.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    The problem is when people blame the refs after every loss and completely fail to recognize when refs may have actually won them a game. I dont disagree that refs affect a lot of games and that sucks but a lot of times fans, especially Xavier fans, complain about the refs after every loss. It doesnt ALWAYS go against you when refs mess up.
    Especially Xavier fans? Please. You must not have much experience with any other fan bases. It's sports fans in general. There are three types. People who always blame the refs (who are in the vast minority), people who refuse to blame the refs because they think it's just excuse making, and people who actually pay freaking attention to what's going on. These three groups make up literally every fan base in every sport. All I'm saying is that I get annoyed by those who fall in the group that think it's nothing but an excuse to recognize poor officiating as a factor in a win or loss. "We have nobody to blame but ourselves, there are bad calls on both sides every game, etc." Poor calls are not always (in fact usually not) split evenly between both sides. Bad calls CAN lose you games. Yet certain people still stubbornly look at most any complaining about officiating as out of bounds. Those are the people who fail to see just how bad officiating in basketball at every level has gotten. The NBA is borderline pro wrestling at times in terms of how the outcome is decided.

I generally won't complain about refffing for a Xavier game (afterwards), because I'm biased, and I know I'm biased, and I know everyone discussing it here is biased, and our observations are generally going to be colored by that bias. And also because while people are plenty happy to discuss the reffing that they think cost their team the game, I'm not sure I've ever heard a fan of a team tell me that their team won because the refs screwed the other side.

Tweets you gotta Love 3

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    Especially Xavier fans? Please. You must not have much experience with any other fan bases. It's sports fans in general. There are three types. People who always blame the refs (who are in the vast minority), people who refuse to blame the refs because they think it's just excuse making, and people who actually pay freaking attention to what's going on. These three groups make up literally every fan base in every sport. All I'm saying is that I get annoyed by those who fall in the group that think it's nothing but an excuse to recognize poor officiating as a factor in a win or loss. "We have nobody to blame but ourselves, there are bad calls on both sides every game, etc." Poor calls are not always (in fact usually not) split evenly between both sides. Bad calls CAN lose you games. Yet certain people still stubbornly look at most any complaining about officiating as out of bounds. Those are the people who fail to see just how bad officiating in basketball at every level has gotten. The NBA is borderline pro wrestling at times in terms of how the outcome is decided.
    In my experience the first category -- "People who always blame the refs" -- may be in the "vast minority" by sheer numbers, but they tend to be -- by far -- the most vocal.

Bad calls cost teams games, no doubt. But by that same token they also win games for teams -- yet you rarely (if ever) hear a fan admit that. And most often, bad calls don't affect the outcome. Yet if the game was remotely close, the most vocal fans will almost always blame the officials anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I generally won't complain about refffing for a Xavier game (afterwards), because I'm biased, and I know I'm biased, and I know everyone discussing it here is biased, and our observations are generally going to be colored by that bias. And also because while people are plenty happy to discuss the reffing that they think cost their team the game, I'm not sure I've ever heard a fan of a team tell me that their team won because the refs screwed the other side.
    I agree with this. And to take it a step further, I tend to look at the whole thing in a general way. We went what, 17-12? How many of those games did we win because the refs screwed the other team? How many did we lose?

At the end of the day, we weren't good enough. Sure refs suck, but so do players, coaches, fans, you, me...we all suck in some way. Nobody is perfect. Blaming and bitching about the refs in such a "in the moment" argument that doesn't really have any shelf life.

I can't recall any fan base, let alone Xavier's who evaluate the players or the coaches and say something like:

I wish Travis would get better positioning to accept an entry pass. Also, I wish the refs who did the game would make sure the guy defending Travis isn't on his back so he can move to the basket to score on a consistent basis.

So at the end of the day, it's about the players. The ten guys on the court who play over 30 games that determine our success. The refs have a terrible job, one that I would never want, so for me complaining about the refs is a waste of time, because it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015