Page 331 of 350 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 3495
    Quote Originally Posted by SM#24 View Post
    I have to disagree with this. I think the intent on the C7 split was to get the Big East back to it's original intent; a conference with basketball as the anchor sport. I'm sure before they brought in X, Butler or Creighton, if Syracuse or Pitt had said "we want to stay, don't worry about football we'll figure it out," the C7 would have kept them. Same with UConn.
    I find the concept of all-Catholic or all-private to be very overrated.
    Agree. The All Catholic private school theme was a spin for marketing. No real legs to stand on. Not sure how good UConn will affect X but comfortably say X is still #2 behind Villanova in the BE.

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    You will have something in common if the conversation turns to knocking off UC.
    Haha he's always had a soft spot for Xavier because of me, and I've had a soft spot for UCONN because of him, we co-exist pretty well. UCONN fans on reddit have commented about how positive X fans on Twitter have been. I think X and UCONN will eventually dislike each other due to competition, but have a lot of mutual respect.

No one cares about the all catholic/all private thing expect maybe those that are in the conference. Its about W's and L's.

I don't think that the "Catholic" angle was ever that big of a thing, but that the Basketball First thing was and has been the heart of the conference. Adding UConn is almost a no brainer. It would not surprise me in the least if UConn ends up moving its football program to a lower level. Doesn't Nova play football at the next level down from D-1? Or is it a D-2 or D-3 level program?

You have to play Division I football if you have Division I basketball and want to play football. Other than UConn, all the football playing members of the Big East play I-AA (FCS) football. Villanova is the only one that tries to compete at the top level of I-AA. I don't think any of the others give scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    You have to play Division I football if you have Division I basketball and want to play football. Other than UConn, all the football playing members of the Big East play I-AA (FCS) football. Villanova is the only one that tries to compete at the top level of I-AA. I don't think any of the others give scholarships.
    D-1, but a “subdivision” of the D-1. A lot less money involved. For example, both Butler and Dayton play in the Pioneer league, along with schools such as Stentson and Davidson. Hardly at the level of a Cincinnati, Memphis, Central Florida, let alone any SEC or B10 schools. I could see UConn following the same path and joining something like the Pioneer league or another I-AA league for football only. 63 scholly v 85 scholly and 11 games v 12 games per year at that level.

If they join the Pioneer League it's 0 scholarships.

And I don't believe they believe they can afford to do that. For better or for worse, obviously for worse, they have a 40,000 seat stadium and a bunch of athletic facilities committed for football.

They certainly appear to be positioning themselves to make a run playing as an independent at the major level.
    X A V I E R

Brian Snow @BSnow247
    ·@FOX19Joe I'm really glad Sean Miller and @EiserXUSports didn't do this in the Selection Sunday media availability before they could have played OSU. Then we all would have been cheated out of the great bonding experience Doellman and @joshkatzowitz had that evening!
    Snow tweeted this to Joe Danneman in reference to Luke Fickel not allowing UC's players to talk to the media this week before the OSU game. Anyone have any idea what story he's talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    And I don't believe they believe they can afford to do that. For better or for worse, obviously for worse, they have a 40,000 seat stadium and a bunch of athletic facilities committed for football.

They certainly appear to be positioning themselves to make a run playing as an independent at the major level.
    Yeah, I didn't think about it, but only Jackson State has a stadium with 40,000 capacity at the FCS level (Not counting Yale, or UPenn but I think they don't give out scholarships or there's something screwy about it, but if you do, then 3), so UCONN at the FCS level would automatically have the largest stadium. The facilities I think would be on par with someone like JMU, but JMU also is extremely competitive at that level. Even if they went independent, wouldn't they still lose a ton of money with the football program though? Would it be better to be competitive at the FCS level, or a program like UMASS I guess is what I'm wondering..