Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Aleksandar/Alexander Vezenkov

Born in Cyprus, played for the Bulgarian u16/u18/u20 national teams, and plays for Aris in the Greek Basketball League.

Pos- Small Forward
    Height- 6'8"-6'9"
    Weight- 200-225 lbs

There's not much info out there about him that I could find (I didn't look too hard). What I did find out about Xavier's interest,
    I found here. I guess Xavier is trying to get him to be here for the 2013-14 season. I don't know how playing for a professional team in Greece factors into his eligibility, but I'm guessing (or at least hoping) Mack looked into it before taking the plane ride over there.
    Last edited by MarvAlbert; 02-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.

What is the schollie situation for next year? I thought we were full with teh additions of Richards and Randolph. Does this indicate that we're expecting to see someone depart? You dont make a trip to Greece in the middle of the season unless you are prepared to offer a scholarship if you like what you see. And, you dont offer a scholarship unless you have one available....

As far as playing on a pro team, I'm pretty sure that it generally results in ineligibility, but again there must be something that Mack knows about the circumstances or he wouldn't bother going. Is it possible to play on a "pro" team but not get paid? Would that confirm the ameteur status?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Is it possible to play on a "pro" team but not get paid? Would that confirm the ameteur status?
    Of course its possible, but it doesn't matter when it comes to amateurism. My understanding of the rule is that as long as there is one or more players on your team being paid you are considered a professional even if you're not one of ththe guys making money.

Aleksandar/Alexander Vezenkov

without giving away any premium content:

The sports environment is completely different in Europe then it is in the states, they do not have high school (Gymnausium) or University sports. If you are a youngster in a certain city you enroll in a club program and play in their youth leagues. You earn promotions as you grow older, either to more advanced levels or demotions to pure recreation levels. Many of the big name soccer teams in Europe (Man United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, FC Bayern Munchen) are actually Sports Clubs that also field professional clubs. FC Bayern for example is best known for soccer, but will also field professional clubs in basketball, water polo, volleyball, etc.

A youngster will advance with a club and if good enough could find himself playing for the tier one team for said club (what we would consider a big league club). That is the case with this young man. You can play on these teams and as long as your only financial benefits is travel expense you retain you amateur status in the eyes of the NCAA. The case with Kanter two years ago was that he took more than travel expense. As long as this young man has taken only travel expense and small per diems he is fine.
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning

What is the schollie situation for next year? I thought we were full with teh additions of Richards and Randolph. Does this indicate that we're expecting to see someone depart? You dont make a trip to Greece in the middle of the season unless you are prepared to offer a scholarship if you like what you see. And, you dont offer a scholarship unless you have one available....
    Semaj
    Randolph
    M. Davis
    D. Davis
    J. Martin
    K Richards
    I. Philmore
    J. Farr
    J. Reynolds
    M. Stainbrook
    C. Cantino
    E. Stenger (assuming he gets one next year)
    Open

Has X ever picked up a player from Europe? Or directly from any country outside the US? (I know that Sato, for example, came and played in the US in high school before committing to X)

As far as playing on a pro team, I'm pretty sure that it generally results in ineligibility, but again there must be something that Mack knows about the circumstances or he wouldn't bother going. Is it possible to play on a "pro" team but not get paid? Would that confirm the ameteur status?
    We've seen just about every year that that isn't true. But we do have a scholarship available, and he has an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    Of course its possible, but it doesn't matter when it comes to amateurism. My understanding of the rule is that as long as there is one or more players on your team being paid you are considered a professional even if you're not one of ththe guys making money.
    I don't know the details, but apparently it's not that cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    I don't know the details, but apparently it's not that cut and dry.
    Enes Kanter had a shot of being eligible and him and his parents actually took money. I'm sure players on his team were getting paid.

The Muskies need their own Manu.
    I wonder how Mack found out about him, or even how you would know one of these kids is interested in US college instead of European pro ball.
    Maybe our guys who play in Europe keep an eye out and send messages back.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.