Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    A couple of reasons

1. Can't lose argument
    2. If they know the foul is coming what is stopping them from throwing up the half court shot when they feel contact (see tu holloway v kstate).
    3. You are leading late in the game, what is the one thing you don't want to do? Stop the clock. Foul and they score without the clock moving. Foul with 5 seconds left and now you have to inbound, what if you don't get it in? What if there is a steal? What if they foul quickly and you miss both, and they get a timeout called only needing 2 to win?

Both theories have their flaws, and whichever one doesn't work on a given night is the wrong choice.
    Understood. In this particular case though, VCU should have fouled. There was no half court shot that you speak of and VCU would have gotten ball back shooting free throws w/ even less time left in the game. No need to inbound ball either. They had a very easy opportunity to foul with 2-3 seconds left. I would foul and take my chances. I am just talking about certain situations.
    Zip'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    A couple of reasons

1. Can't lose argument
    2. If they know the foul is coming what is stopping them from throwing up the half court shot when they feel contact (see tu holloway v kstate).
    3. You are leading late in the game, what is the one thing you don't want to do? Stop the clock. Foul and they score without the clock moving. Foul with 5 seconds left and now you have to inbound, what if you don't get it in? What if there is a steal? What if they foul quickly and you miss both, and they get a timeout called only needing 2 to win?

Both theories have their flaws, and whichever one doesn't work on a given night is the wrong choice.
    Understood. In this particular case though, VCU should have fouled. There was no half court shot that you speak of and VCU would have gotten ball back shooting free throws w/ even less time left in the game. No need to inbound ball either. They had a very easy opportunity to foul with 2-3 seconds left. I would foul and take my chances. I am just talking about certain situations.
    Zip'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    I understand that and yet both games ended up being a loss for the team that chose not to foul. I understand both sides to it. If the foul is timed right and in this case I would have done it right before the player got the hand off for the 3. There would have been 2 second left and you get the ball left. Of course one could argue that Richmond could miss intentionally and put it back in. This happens very rarely, however.
    Tu Holloway vs. Kansas State, anyone?