Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Butler/Zags

This generated a little discussion as it appears the backboard light was on before the ball left his fingers.
    The replay from behind the basket seemed to indicate it was a good shot. Whatever.
    Light, horn, whistle, or clock....Hinkle has never had its timing sh$t together. And still doesn't.

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    For whatever reason we don't attracked the media the way flypaper attracks flies. Those teams do. I personally don't have a huge problem with that because I don't pay much attention to the media, and don't really spend a lot of time thinking about why they're attracked to what they're attraced to. They like Butler and Gonzaga, though.
    Holy shit, dude. Does that look even remotely right to you?
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    This generated a little discussion as it appears the backboard light was on before the ball left his fingers.
    The replay from behind the basket seemed to indicate it was a good shot. Whatever.
    Light, horn, whistle, or clock....Hinkle has never had its timing sh$t together. And still doesn't.

[IMG][/IMG]
    It was damn close. The only thing that matters on the end of game is the light. It couldn't have been more than an inch out of his hand, but when I watched it, it looked like it was good to me.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    I have no problem with Butler receiving a lot of media attention. Making back to back national championships is impressive. I'm of the opinion that Butler was very lucky to do so and that they likely won't make another Final Four in the next 30 years. But that's irrelevant. It's impressive and deserves media attention.

Gonzaga is a different story. I think one of things that's important to appreciate is that the college basketball scene west of the Rocky Mountains sucks. There's UCLA, Arizona, and Gonzaga. Football and the NBA dominates. ESPN and other media companies have to try to build up their college basketball viewer base west of the rockies. And they do that by trying to build up the Gonzaga program to more than it really is, IMHO (same thing with St. Mary's.....the media is desperately searching for some sort of excitement).
    Guess what's coming in spades for Xavier. Forget the other teams that will comprise the new conference, because I get that they'll receive their own significant pub. But Xavier will receive some serious media attention from the winning bidder because it will be one of the bell weather programs in the new conference. Xavier is a keystone to the new conference's success.

Brew, not sure about the rankings side of it, but we've been to the Dance the last 9/10, where Butler has been the last 6/10, and I think they have a total of one more win than X in that period, but I'm not sure about that.

Overall, it was a College Gameday gig. Seriously, I missed it, so I couldn't tell you how it looked or how well it went off.

I have to imagine that the CGD crew will find its way to the CC at some point. It will look a lot more impressive at our place, as compared to holding it in an 80+ year old zeppelin hanger.
    X A V I E R

X has been building a program since 1983. The team has been very good for a very long time. So much so that people come to expect Xavier to be good year-in-and-year-out. Xavier set the blueprint for teams like them to have good programs. That is true for both Gonzaga and Butler. Having Gameday at Butler is all about ESPN front running like they usually do. That is not to take a shot at Butler, but at ESPN who likes things new and pretty, just like their Sports Center anchors. Butler is new and pretty, but they live in a shanty of a house. However, we had to hear last night about the ambiance, the allure, the history, etc from some chick standing in the top row of the upper level with a freaking snow cone for crying out loud.

Xavier is the gold standard for basketball AND academic excellence for non-big conference teams and will remain so for many years. For people who know basketball, they know it. For the beautiful people who rely on ESPN for their news and what is hot or good, then Butler and Gonzaga will be their pick because of being a media darlings. If not for X, there would be no Butler of Gonzaga as they exist today. There is hype and there is real. Overall, since 1983, Butler and Gonzaga are hype and X is real. All one has to do is look at how many NBA players all three programs have produced and the case for X can be rested right there.
    Last edited by vee4xu; 01-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    X has been building a program since 1983. The team has been very good for a very long time. So much so that people come to expect Xavier to be good year-in-and-year-out. Xavier set the blueprint for teams like them to have good programs. That is true for both Gonzaga and Butler. Having Gameday at Butler is all about ESPN front running like they usually do. That is not to take a shot at Butler, but at ESPN who likes things new and pretty, just like their Sports Center anchors. Butler is new and pretty, but they live in a shanty of a house. However, we had to hear last night about the ambiance, the allure, the history, etc from some chick standing in the top row of the upper level with a freaking snow cone for crying out loud.

Xavier is the gold standard for basketball AND academic excellence for non-big conference teams and will remain so for many years. For people who know basketball, they know it. For the beautiful people who rely on ESPN for their news and what is hot or good, then Butler and Gonzaga will be their pick because of being a media darlings. If not for X, there would be no Butler of Gonzaga as they exist today. There is hype and there is real. Overall, since 1983, Butler and Gonzaga are hype and X is real. All one has to do is look at how many NBA players all three programs have produced and the case for X can be rested right there.
    Did you know Hoosiers was filmed in Hinkle? Holy hell, if I have to hear that one more time from ESPN I am going to beat my face in with the back of a hammer.

All-Conference
    They went to back to back national title games...out of whatever rinky dink conference they came from...think about that.

You guys act like they haven't done anything. Not only that, they are solid every year, and their kids play above their potential, which speaks volumes of their coach.

They have my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Did you know Hoosiers was filmed in Hinkle? Holy hell, if I have to hear that one more time from ESPN I am going to beat my face in with the back of a hammer.
    This isn't anywhere near as annoying as having to hear about the Brent Spence Bridge or Skyline Chili every time the shootout comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm pretty sure Butler has more tournament wins than we do in the past decade, and has spent more time in the rankings than we have over the last six or seven years.

For whatever reason we don't attracked the media the way flypaper attracks flies. Those teams do. I personally don't have a huge problem with that because I don't pay much attention to the media, and don't really spend a lot of time thinking about why they're attracked to what they're attraced to. They like Butler and Gonzaga, though.
    It's the 30 years of winning tradition that they don't have. It's expected here.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    Holy shit, dude. Does that look even remotely right to you?
    Now that you point it out....no.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White