Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    When I was in second grade 36 years ago, I distinctly remember being told we'd run out of oil in 15 years. And now oil is free. What a world!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    When I was in second grade 36 years ago, I distinctly remember being told we'd run out of oil in 15 years. And now oil is free. What a world!
    Partially thanks to technology - shale conversion and deep well capabilities - and probably a healthy dose of misinformation back then.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    yep…..and we're pouring milk down the sewer.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Partially thanks to technology - shale conversion and deep well capabilities - and probably a healthy dose of misinformation back then.
    The more I have of something you want, the more I want you to think it is scarce. :-)

(The technology part is certainly also true.)

We went to Bar Harbor Maine years ago. I love a good lobster like many people, but always though of it as being a “special treat” item. A college near us had a fundraiser cookout every year, and everyone got one lobster ticket. Our favorite event of the year! We get to Bar Harbor, and as expected, lobster is everywhere! Unexpectedly cheap. They even threw lobster on my breakfast at the hotel which was not even mentioned on the menu!

We took a sightseeing tour and the trolly driver said he was the only person from several generations of his family NOT in the lobster business in some way. He said whatever the primary predator of the lobster is have been grossly over fished. They have more lobster that they know what to do with! It’s not as scarce or special as they want you to think. (I’m sure the shipping is an issue, before anyone has to point that out, but a lot of seafood is frozen.)

Same is probably true of diamonds.....

They used to serve lobster in New England prisons because no one else would eat it.

Stock Market is jumping. Up over $27,000 this morning.

CNBC Now
    @CNBCnow
    BREAKING: U.S. economy added 2.5M jobs in May, unemployment rate now at 13.3%

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    CNBC Now
    @CNBCnow
    BREAKING: U.S. economy added 2.5M jobs in May, unemployment rate now at 13.3%
    Stock market is up almost 1,000 points today, and 2,000 for the week.

I predict the media returning to scaring us about covid very soon.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Junior
    Yesterday CNBC was predicting the stock market is and will bounce back faster than the economy. Most market watchers are stunned at the speed of the stock markets recovery so far. Probably media switches back to Covid, so that dimwitted Mayors and Governors will shut things down again in hopes of screwing up the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Stock market is up almost 1,000 points today, and 2,000 for the week.

I predict the media returning to scaring us about covid very soon.
    Public reps!! And still waiting on the media apologies for Governors Kemp and DeSantis and their "reckless" re-openings.
    Veritas vos Liberabit