Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Was just reading this entertaining thread again, and saw this one. I hope Xpectations isn't homeless!
    Ha! It’s funny how they disappear when they are wrong!

I feel like maybe the stock market thread should be merged with the WTF?!? thread. I've thought about getting out about 15 times, but luckily I've sold very little over the last several years. This has to end soon, right? Right? I mean, that Dow 30,000 bullshit from the dot com era is going to happen THIS YEAR if things don't cool off soon.

EDIT: I guess my memory sux, because the stupid book from 1999 was Dow 36,000. So we might have to wait until next year. :)
    The only explanation for this tide is that boomers are looking to make up for losses or years of limited gains since '08. I'd imagine the next down trend will begin when they begin pulling out of the market en masse. There's definitely no sign of that happening right now though. The demand for stocks is just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by BENWAR View Post
    Ha! It’s funny how they disappear when they are wrong!
    Honestly, I don't think anyone has actually been right in this thread. Xpectations just had the most dire outlook of the group, so I had to pick on him a bit. I've definitely cost myself some money with poorly timed sales, but some of the things I've considered over the term of this thread would have been much, much worse. Thank God for inertia!

Dow 26,000....

Dow 26,000....
    What will be interesting, now that there's officially a government shutdown, is if the market, which is heretofore acted like Icarus flying unabated toward the sun and ignoring talk of a shutdown, will hold firm on Monday, or reach the sun. Good news is, the overall economic metrics are good, which makes the case for the market continuing to ignore the insanity amongst politicos in DC. Problem is, the market is emotional, too. We'll just have to see what happens this weekend in DC with the shutdown and whether the pragmatic investors or the emotional investors show up on Monday. Stay tuned!
    Pray the Rosary daily

Don't want to add anything to the panic, but I have to ask if anyone is smelling recession?

Flattening in the yield curve today with the 10 yr going up. Wages flying up, and a weak dollar, will finally spur the missing inflation and force the Fed's hand to raise rates. Should really flatten or even invert the curve.

Didn't we just have 2.9% growth last quarter reported today? That's a long way to go to get to the negative growth necessary for a recession.

Now I see that it was 2.6% reported last week, with 2.9% wage growth. Still a long way from negative GDP.

Not saying it's going to happen in the short term. Estimating a timeline is above my pay grade, but I think the pieces are there.

No. 200,000 jobs were created last month. The market is simply reacting to an anticipated Fed interest rate bump to put a damper on inflation because wages are rapidly growing too. Quite frankly the fact that the Obama years only saw very small economic growth and a hugely increased Federal deficit despite the benefit of almost zero interest rates is an indication of how bad the past President's economic policies were and how the business community had no confidence in the Administration. This is a correction that is probably needed, but certainly no indication of a recession.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Not time to panic as the market has been on a torrid run. In spite of this weeks carnage, market is still up substantially this year. Economies seem robust so no sign of recession but inflation may be ticking up a bit but not yet worrisome levels. The wild card is that the market has been used to almost a decade of extremely low interest rates and what will happen if this increases?