Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Futures hit limit down within 10 minutes.
    It's come full circle in 15 hours, and the market is likely to open positive.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It's come full circle in 15 hours, and the market is likely to open positive.
    It just took an unlimited QE announcement to get this market up a whopping 1%.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. This shit is not capitalism.

I'm pretty sure not all the losses are going to be socialized. And taxes get paid on the profits, so those aren't fully privatized, either.

I'm pretty sure not all the losses are going to be socialized. And taxes get paid on the profits, so those aren't fully privatized, either.
    Is it capitalism as long as it's just some of the losses and some of the profits? We'll see what the bill comes out to but we are almost certainly entering a state where moral hazard exists for every large industry. I'm not going to act like I know better options in the situation but man it sucks to have politicians picking winners and losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Is it capitalism as long as it's just some of the losses and some of the profits?
    I mean, socializing some of the profits has always been part of the deal. Some of the losses in cases like this doesn't seem SO bad.

I mean, socializing some of the profits has always been part of the deal. Some of the losses in cases like this doesn't seem SO bad.
    I don't disagree that it's not so bad considering the circumstances but this is still not capitalism and we didn't just magically end up here. We'll see what the details are but we are encouraging businesses to take on as much risk as they can because they ultimately will not suffer the consequences. There's never a good time to worry about precedent, we are extending some bad ones.

Hijacking the thread (sort of) here but it will be interesting to see how companies find they can operate with employees working from home for an extended period of time. I know that Legal Offices and Medical Offices are what they are, but it’s very possible that this sustained telecommuting may show orgs that they may not have to continually pay exorbitant rent in office buildings. That would turn developers on their ears with lots of office vacancy.
    I worked in Commercial Real Estate for over 40 years. I have been of the opinion for a long time that the only building I would do today are Distribution Centers and Apartment buildings. No retail, no office. Other residential would be location specific, but deeply researched.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Hijacking the thread (sort of) here but it will be interesting to see how companies find they can operate with employees working from home for an extended period of time. I know that Legal Offices and Medical Offices are what they are, but it’s very possible that this sustained telecommuting may show orgs that they may not have to continually pay exorbitant rent in office buildings. That would turn developers on their ears with lots of office vacancy.
    I worked in Commercial Real Estate for over 40 years. I have been of the opinion for a long time that the only building I would do today are Distribution Centers and Apartment buildings. No retail, no office. Other residential would be location specific, but deeply researched.
    I tend to agree. The problem with working remotely is you need highly motivated people who can work effectively without being watched. Sadly those type people are getting harder and harder to find. It's also hard to build any type of team with that setup. But when companies see that it can work, it will happen. I had a job for 40 years where I was on my own, meeting with customers, except for 1 office day a week. I probably could have not gone in at all, but I preferred to interact in person with people i worked with. I'd say I'm glad I'm retired if everyone is going to sit at home with their laptop, and that's their job.

This will result in a HUGE investment in IT. The wife is with a global bank, and they were fairly ready, then ramped up BIG TIME starting a few months ago. They were far ahead of most, but found where the shortcomings were. Everybody has improvements to make.