Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Freshman

Melvin Swift - PF

Melvin Swift - PF - Yates - Houston, TX

6'7", 195 lbs.

Four-star 2014 forward Melvin Swift shocked the recruiting world today when the 6-foot-7 jack-rabbit leaper committed to the Xavier Musketeers, seemingly out of nowhere. Shortly after the school day Swift walked into the basketball office at his Houston (Tex.) Yates HS and informed the coaches that he was ready to make a public decision.

"He came in the office and told our staff that he wants to do it and his heart was set on making the decision now," Yates assistant coach Juwan McClellan said. "Our staff was surprised. I'm thinking from talking to him that he just fell in love with the university and what they have to offer."

Swift, who played on the AAU circuit with Houston Hoops, was looking for a school that offered playing time for him, but also an intimate campus with a family like atmosphere. He found that, more so then at any other place, at Xavier. "The academic situation really appealed to Melvin," McClellan said. "The small learning environment fits him; he fell in love with Coach Mack and the rest of the staff."

Currently ranked at no. 58 in the 2014 Rivals150, the four-star junior is one of the most intriguing forwards in the class because of his versatility to play inside or outside, and of course his leaping ability.

"Everybody thinks of athleticism when they think of Melvin Swift. His leaping ability is way above what most human beings do," said McClellan. "Now that he's playing on the wing at 6'7 he has a really bright future when the rest of his fundamentals continue to come together."

Rivals.com's Eric Bossi echoed a similar statement when describing Swift's game. "Swift is a thin and extremely athletic forward," Bossi said via text message. "He's a little raw on the offensive end but can really run the floor and is quite active as a rebounder and shotblocker."

While he won't join the Musketeers until the season after next, '14-'15, Swift should already be penciled in as someone who could make a quick and strong impact. The Houston native chose Xavier over several offers, most notably Texas, Arizona, Memphis, and Oklahoma State.
    There is nuance, and complexity...

Here's my free promotion of Scout over Rivals (if you were planning to join a paysite). It's a good article, but Swift's commitment wasn't "seemingly out of nowhere" for any Scout subscribers. Exciting? Yes. A complete surprise? No. Not saying I was expecting him to commit then or commit to Xavier at all (by no means!), but via Rick Broering I knew Xavier was big on Swift's radar. Corey Albertson doesn't provide that level of info (though maybe he does for the UK site he also runs).
    Last edited by XUFan09; 12-13-2012 at 08:31 PM.

I like how the three recruits (two in 13-14) are from Connecticut, California and Texas.

Xavier really seems to be the nation's team.

Swift with the nasty jam. Short interview from after the game as well.

http://ballislife.com/67-melvin-swif...-year-nominee/

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post

Friggin posterized that dude. Did he get a tech for the chest pounding and yelling after the dunk?
    Tim Hardaway hates Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post

That posteree either couldn't jump high or thought better of it at the last second and gave a little bunny hop.

But what really made me laugh was the little white guy running down the court following the pass. He looks like Peter Dinklage in that oversized uniform

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Here's my free promotion of Scout over Rivals (if you were planning to join a paysite). It's a good article, but Swift's commitment wasn't "seemingly out of nowhere" for any Scout subscribers. Exciting? Yes. A complete surprise? No. Not saying I was expecting him to commit then or commit to Xavier at all (by no means!), but via Rick Broering I knew Xavier was big on Swift's radar. Corey Albertson doesn't provide that level of info (though maybe he does for the UK site he also runs).
    Hope this kid sticks around. Our track record hasn't been great recently with actually landing these early commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    Hope this kid sticks around. Our track record hasn't been great recently with actually landing these early commitments.
    Take solace in his HS coaches quote when he said Swift liked the "academic climate" XU has. That is normally a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Take solace in his HS coaches quote when he said Swift liked the "academic climate" XU has. That is normally a good sign.
    I will gladly take your word for it, but liking the "academic climate" or the "academic reputation" or how a school "focuses on academics" is the euphemistically-generic verbiage a lot of recruits use to counter-balance comments of going to a basketball-loving school where they can potentially play right away.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I will gladly take your word for it, but liking the "academic climate" or the "academic reputation" or how a school "focuses on academics" is the euphemistically-generic verbiage a lot of recruits use to counter-balance comments of going to a basketball-loving school where they can potentially play right away.
    I was thinking more like his parents/family really like Xavier and what it offers.