Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dayton. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Pomeroy has Dayton at #96 and Weber State at #174.

That said Pacific is #153. Ours was on a semi-neutral court (how far is Pacific really from Anaheim) and theirs was at home but the quality of opponent was largely the same.
    Ken Pomroy would be the first person to tell you that it's too early to rely on the rankings.

Here is my deal....it's not that I don't see the fun in beating up on Dayton. It's just that I think Weber deserves a little credit. They're not a top program, but they're not dogshit either. One of their losses is at Utah State. I know Utah State does not play in a top level conference, but they do have one of the best home records in the nation. They're oftentimes one of those teams that appears in articles about how they can't get big teams to play them at home. You don't just go into Wild Bill's house and come out with a win....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpzavb7PQk

Weber did lose, but they played them pretty tough there. Dayton isn't an elite program, but that's not the easiest place for road teams either. They traveled across the country, went in there, and won. I know people want to bash Dayton, but I just think Weber deserves some credit.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    But then Dayton pulled a Dayton and collapsed in spectacular fashion (Gary Parrish - 2010)
    This quote is evidence that even a blind squirrel (Parrish) can find a nut occasionally.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    It will be interesting.

Weber's kind of in a unique, and not entirely beneficial spot. The Big Sky has gone out to 11 teams and is playing all home and homes. So, that gives them 20 conference games, and only nine OOC games. They're locked in to playing Utah State, Utah Valley and BYU as fixture games.

The bottom of the Big Sky is set-your-head-on-fire bad. Montana is a good team, but there is a pretty big drop off after that. If they don't go at least 17-3 in league play, it will be a dissapointment. So, an inflated record will inflate their RPI. Utah State will likely win 20+ games (albiet against weak teams), but that will also inflate the RPI. BYU isn't bad. Utah Valley is bad, but the rest of the teams in the Great West are even worse. Numbers-wise, I think they'll do alright. They actually finished ahead of Dayton in the RPI last year.

On top of all that, I'm not saynig Dayton shouldn't have won the game, or that Weber is some sort of dark horse that is going to take the nation by storm. They're a half way decent team, though. If you pull up any "major' team's schedule and look at who they're playing in their buy games, you're not going to find too many teams that are better than Weber. They're better than some of the garbage at the bottom of the Atlantic Ten. Last year's Rhode Island team was probably infinitely worse than this year's Weber team, yet no one was this up in arms when they lost to them last year. It's not good that they lost, but there are worst teams to lose to.
    Don't all of the Utah state schools do a round-robin series with each other, or has that been modified now?

All but Utah. They play some of them, but not all of them. Also, with Southern Utah now being in the same conference as Weber, I guess that alters things somewhat.

Iowa opted to put a stop to the four div1 Iowa teams having the round robin tournament. They're still playing Iowa State and UNI, but not Drake.

I think the Big Five and the Front Range are the only two mythical conferences that are still going strong.
    Last edited by xubrew; 11-30-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White