Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    All-Conference
    I agree with the statement above about everyone involved being in a better place since he's moved on. Honestly, I think he respects Caoch Miller more...I think he knows he isn't going to get away with anything with him, and honestly, he needs that to be at his full potential.

In all honesty, the dude can ball. I was one that wasn't too upset when he left, but I find myself really likely Arizona because they are a very good team (and I like watching good basketball). He could be the piece that puts them in the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by IVANHOE View Post
    Whoa didnt mean for this thread to turn so hostile. Just wanted to give updates on Lyons and my prediction of him thriving under a more respected and controlled coaching staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal View Post
    Ah, so you said you wanted to start the thread for one reason but the real reason was to use Lyons potential success to bash coach Mack. Well, there we have it, less that one game into the season. Great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I agree with the statement above about everyone involved being in a better place since he's moved on. Honestly, I think he respects Caoch Miller more...I think he knows he isn't going to get away with anything with him, and honestly, he needs that to be at his full potential.

In all honesty, the dude can ball. I was one that wasn't too upset when he left, but I find myself really likely Arizona because they are a very good team (and I like watching good basketball). He could be the piece that puts them in the Final Four.
    Careful when saying that Mark will do better under coach Miller. People get angry.
    Snakebite pitchers at The Woods = RIP

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal View Post
    Ah, so you said you wanted to start the thread for one reason but the real reason was to use Lyons potential success to bash coach Mack. Well, there we have it, less that one game into the season. Great thread!
    Pretty much dead on at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    Mark Lyons was a great of example of being disrespectful to coaches while he was here. I spilled over and created a distraction for more than just last year. Any 4th year junior with Mark's talent who is benched for several games in the middle of the season should speak volumes of his character. Coach Mack wanted Mark gone for the benefit of Xavier basketball. Xavier may struggle without Mark's scoring and playmaking on the court, but the program is going to be much better off this year and in all future years because they decided to part ways with this young man. Put bluntly, he no longer had a place as a productive player on the Xavier roster and was shown the door. I give Coach Mack credit for having done so.
    Right on. Both parties are better off.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

Agree. Lyons wasn't working at Xavier. He could (generally) be kept under control when things were going well, but losing magnifies all faults. He would have been a disaster this season with the rebuilding year we are having. Arizona is a good place for him because they have some pieces but need a PG so he has a long leash. He also is only there for 1 season so he can't do too much damage in the locker room.
    Eat Donuts!

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Right on. Both parties are better off.

Agree. Lyons wasn't working at Xavier. He could (generally) be kept under control when things were going well, but losing magnifies all faults. He would have been a disaster this season with the rebuilding year we are having. Arizona is a good place for him because they have some pieces but need a PG so he has a long leash. He also is only there for 1 season so he can't do too much damage in the locker room.
    Agreed, if he wants a chance to play at the next level, he's gonna have to conduct himself accordingly. I think he needed a change of venue. His frustration was boiling over and it was not a good fit anymore for either side. He got what he wanted (to play pg) and Xavier got rid of a player that was not fitting in their locker room any longer. It sucks he couldn't get it together while at X, but the fresh start has helped him mature as an individual. He's the shot in the arm Arizona sorely needed with his toughness and fearlessness in the clutch. Xavier did a fantastic job getting Lyons to the level he is playing at currently.

hit 2 FT's w/ 13 seconds left last night for what turned out be the winning score. To be fair, Nick Johnson blocked a layup by SDS for AZ at the end to preserve the victory but that's now the second game Lyons won for AZ.
    Zip'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by jco17 View Post
    He's the shot in the arm Arizona sorely needed with his toughness and fearlessness in the clutch.
    Good thing we don't need this at X this year.
    2023 Sweet 16

Mark Lyons Update

Watching the last couple AZ games, Lyons certainly does seem to provide a spark to that team when they need it. They are going to a serious contender come March.
    Tim Hardaway hates Dayton.

Glad to see Mark taking the leadership role that he is with them. He is not pouting and gets excited for his team. He seems to be the stablizing force for them. I am happy for him. It seems that the change has really worked out well for him and for Arizona.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Glad to see Mark taking the leadership role that he is with them. He is not pouting and gets excited for his team. He seems to be the stablizing force for them. I am happy for him. It seems that the change has really worked out well for him and for Arizona.
    He's been fantastic. Keep hearing that he isn't a point guard, but he defends the opponent like a gnat, brings the ball up the court very efficiently, makes big shots, gets his teammates involved, and is the leader of the team. Sounds like a like a point guard to me. I understand he's not a traditional point guard, but he does everything you want a pg to do, and utterly frustrates the person he's defending.