Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Dezmine Wells

It seems to indicate that if you eliminate everything that might make the proceeding fair and make it more of a judge, jury, executioner style proceeding, then you don't have to follow any rules, but if you do try to make it fair then it becomes a quasi-criminal proceeding and rules start to apply. Very odd to essentially tell a school that if they want to make their own decisions that they should create a kangaroo court instead of a fair one.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

The problem is that so many people don't want a fair trial. They assume that "accused of sexual assault" means "guilty of sexual assault". They don't want due process, they want a pound of flesh. When you get rid of the thing that is producing more pounds of flesh instead of due process, then those people are going to lose their collective minds. Add in the "Betsy DeVos is evil" crowd to it and here we go.

I hope that what this all will give us is a process that is fair to both the accuser and the accused. We'll see.

The problem isn't that DeVos is a radical, though she surely is.

The problem is that she's kaboshed guidelines and left schools dangling. Essentially, "these guidelines aren't fair, but I'm not going to tell you how to fix them to make them fair. ". No standards for due process for accusers. No standards for discovery or the neutrality of th decision makers. That's not leadership.

It's a mirror of the charter school problem: (some) public schools aren't performing, so here are big wads of public money, go experiment, but we won't hold you accountable with any metrics or standards.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

An absence of standards is better than the standards previously in place.

Schools have the option, during this transition period, to use the preponderance of the evidence standard OR the clear and convincing standard. Do we know what Xavier plans to do? I know UC is sticking with preponderance of the evidence.