Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

A Few thoughts- Dusty Baker

I like Dusty Baker. If you want your team to get to the playoffs, Dusty should be at the top of your list. I think he did a great job with this team this year. He knows how to handle players during the season.

But if you want to win in the playoffs, Dusty is at the bottom of the list. He is just not a good in game manager. He makes decisions which are indefensible (see, for example, running on a 2 strike count down by three and resulting in Bruce getting thrown out at third, or, in the alternative, keeping Arredondo in the game last night).

The Reds had a good season. But losing 3 straight at home is a huge disappointment, to say the least. And now I wonder if the Reds should bring him back. Right now, I say "No". If getting to the playoffs is your goal, then bring him back. If winning in the playoffs is your goal, then hire someone else.

I'd still like to hear the rationale for not walking Arias in the top of the 10th in Game 3. Pitcher on deck and Bochy has only one pinch hitter left on the bench. You force Bochy's hand there and have a force at any base. I don't understand why he pitched to Arias.

I think mangers get to much credit and to much blame. Is it Dusty's fault Rolen boots a ball he makes 99% of the time or Phillips makes a boneheaded base running error. The Reds just failed miserably in the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I'd still like to hear the rationale for not walking Arias in the top of the 10th in Game 3. Pitcher on deck and Bochy has only one pinch hitter left on the bench. You force Bochy's hand there and have a force at any base. I don't understand why he pitched to Arias.
    Arias was out if Rolen makes the play.

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    I think mangers get to much credit and to much blame. Is it Dusty's fault Rolen boots a ball he makes 99% of the time or Phillips makes a boneheaded base running error. The Reds just failed miserably in the clutch.
    To answer your questions- "No".

But it is Dusty's fault for running the Reds out of the inning when they are down by 3. Dumb. Just stupid a decision. They actually did the same thing the pitch before and I turned to the guy next to me and said, "What are they doing? If Hannigan strikes out we'll have a double play." And guess what happened? And why did Dusty keep Arredondo in yesterday after giving up 2 doubles and a laser to deep center field? The 4th batter hit then a 2 run homer. And then Dusty kept him in for one more batter (a walk). Would Bochy have kept him in that long? (Answer- "no").

Bochy made great decisions the last two games. Dusty made stupid decisions the last two games. Dusty cost the team runs. Right now, I wonder if they bring him back.

I really don't understand leaving Latos in after he gave up 2 runs and loaded the bases in the 5th today. He was obviously in trouble that inning. Get him out of there.
    Eat Donuts!

Not having watched the game today, I have a question about Bruce getting thrown out.

Was it first and second, down by 3, nobody out and 2 strikes? And he sent both runners?

If that is the circumstance, then I can see trying to get both runners into scoring position. If the batter strikes out, then you have one out and runners on 2nd and third----no double play is in order. The alternative there is that with one out and the double play is in order you could be out of the inning on a ground ball from the next batter. I dont know what Jay Bruces stolen base percentage is, or what Posey's caught stealing percentage is, but if that play works out and the next guy hits a bloop single to right that scores 2 and allows the batter to advance to second on a throw to the plate, then you are one hit away from a tie game. With 2 outs to go.

If I DIDN't get the situation right, then it's certianly a lot more suspect of a decision. Possibly he was just hoping to catch them napping since it was such an unconventional move that maybe they just wouldn't be ready for it????

Tough loss. See you in March

Mr. Castellini: please do not renew Dusty.
    Zip'em Up!

I hope Chris Speier is the Reds' manager next season.

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    Arias was out if Rolen makes the play.
    Agree...but don't know how Dusty could take that into effect before the play was made/not made. If the bases are loaded, the infielders can play at double play depth because of the force at any base. Plus, if its a pitcher who hits that ball or the back up catcher (only pinch hitter left on the bench), Rolen's recovery is enough to get either of them out (presuming they hit the same ball).

OTOH, the pitcher or back up catcher could have hit a gapper. Either way, if I'm a betting man, I take the possibility of an infield hit or error out of play by pitching around a speedy guy. I'll take my chances with the relief pitcher or back up catcher.