Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roddy Peters

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    I'm mre interested to see how the 2014 class shapes up. That's where you can start to see whether all of this will have a long term effect. I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion this quickly.
    Absolutely, and another mitigating factor is the fact that two-thirds of the coaching staff turned over just months before the Wells turmoil.

My sense is that the staff are focusing their recruiting energies on 2014 at this point. I think they feel the Wells thing is a turd in the punchbowl with '13 recruits and they don't want to settle for guys. They'd love to get Patterson and there might be a late bloomer that pops up but that could be it.

Quote Originally Posted by danaandvictory View Post
    Absolutely, and another mitigating factor is the fact that two-thirds of the coaching staff turned over just months before the Wells turmoil.

My sense is that the staff are focusing their recruiting energies on 2014 at this point. I think they feel the Wells thing is a turd in the punchbowl with '13 recruits and they don't want to settle for guys. They'd love to get Patterson and there might be a late bloomer that pops up but that could be it.
    Agreed. I can't imagine the Wells fallout lasts much longer than this year.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Banned
    We have Myles and Reynolds coming in next season.
    we also had them coming in this year and you saw how that worked out. Next year will be the third year in a row Reynolds is slated to start his career at Xavier and again we've seen how the first two went. I'll be ecstatic if they make it through to next year, but im not banking on a couple guys who have already been academic liabilities and that doesn't even mention that they have to pay their own way.

i'm not completely in the gloom and doom camp, but i can see why people are worried.
    Last edited by xlax; 10-16-2012 at 09:16 AM.

That's the hope.

The biggest thing now is that they have to keep the current team together. They cannot have more major departures after this season. This stuff does tend to snowball.

Quote Originally Posted by xlax View Post
    we also had them coming in this year and you saw how that worked out. Next year will be the third year in a row Reynolds is slated to start his career at Xavier and again we've seen hopw the first two went.

i'm not completely in the gloom and doom camp, but i can see why people are worried.
    Again Myles and Reynolds are not the first players to not play in their first year. We landed Michael Chandler and he never came. Lyons had to sit. I can easily pick one player here or one player there to focus on. Recruiting and program progression is a much larger landscape.

We have done really well with transfers, so who knows who will be available come seven months. That's a lifetime in college basketball.

We haven't played one game this season and see how this season turns out and how we sell that to future recruits.

People are always worried about recruiting here. I never understand why since we seem to win on a regular basis. I do understand that people want to feel like they have predicted the end of the program correctly, so this current worrisome narrative has legs because they can pin it to one specific thing.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Banned
    That we can agree on. Just need to hope that the team has a solid enough year this year to remain nationally relevant.

Banned
    FWIW, Peters' high school coach said it came down to Rutgers or Maryland.

Roddy Peters

Quote Originally Posted by xlax View Post
    I think a lot of the discontent stems from the fact that there doesn't really appear to be anyone seriously on the radar right now other than Patterson and even he doesn't seem like a lock. It's not that X doesn't have any commitments, its that there really isnt anyone on the radar.
    This. It's more the fact that we are going to have 4 available scholarships next year and don't really seem, at least to my knowledge, to be really close to landing any recruits any time soon. I don't doubt that we will land some good ball players (top 150 type) but the anxiety is rising a little bit. Only 24 uncommitted left in the top 100 with the early signing day quickly approaching where I imagine a handful more will come off the board.

Something else. People cite the old teams as bringing in low caliber players that worked their butts off and became stars. Not necessarily true. BJ Raymond was a 4 star recruit, and the first SF not listed in the top 100 on scout. That likely puts him right around #105 give or take in his class. Stanley Burrell was a 3 star recruit, number 28 sg. Still a pretty good recruit there. Justin Cage was #71 in his class. Dedrick Finn was a 4 star, the #15 PG in his class that would put him probably right around the #100 overall prospect in his class.

Recruiting has turned into such a zoo over the last 5 years with the explosion of the Internet, social media and YouTube. It's now so much easier to follow recruiting because there are a lot more people who have made careers over scouting and gathering information about these kids. AAU ball has exploded and it's nearly mandatory now if you want to earn a scholarship. These kids are playing in huge events, against the best players in the country and are having nearly every one of these games scouted. It is becoming much harder to find a sleeper anymore because these kids are being scouted regularly by the time their 12 or 13 years old. It's getting easier, although still not easy, to judge talent because these kids are playing higher caliber players over the summer. Granted AAU ball is usually pretty light on fundamentals.

I think at this point our fan base just really wants to see one or two 3 stars. I will agree with the poster that said the Wells fiasco taints this year but not next year. These kids might be just 18 years old but they also aren't stupid. The coaches get only so much time with them each week and it's not Mack's fault Wells put himself in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    I think at this point our fan base just really wants to see one or two 3 stars. I will agree with the poster that said the Wells fiasco taints this year but not next year. These kids might be just 18 years old but they also aren't stupid. The coaches get only so much time with them each week and it's not Mack's fault Wells put himself in that position.
    I would agree with this statement. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to get a high 3 star recruit (or 2) with great work ethic for 2013. I worry a bit that we may be 'star chasing' too much. I'm not the coach though, so what do I know.
    Eat Donuts!