Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

At What Birthday did you consider yourself "old"

Or rather, "not young"?

I turn 40 tomorrow (yeah yeah blah blah) and this one is hitting me hard. I have been drinking longer than all the undergrads at X have been alive (shaddap I know illegally, sue me).

So, I realize that they don't try to sell my age bracket anymore. I listen to '80s rock, which is apparently "classic" now. I know my doctor by a first name basis, and I worry about my retirement. My back has kept me in bed for days. I have a niece who is in her sophomore year at college.

Now I know I'm not old old, like MOR, because that is oooooolllddd, but I now realize that I'm no longer young, and when I go to a pool or a club or anywhere a bunch of 20 somethings are at, I am now the creepy old guy. I am now out of the loop.

I HATE dayton.

For me it was about a year ago at 35. I am an avid mountain biker and racer and train pretty hard. It was at 35 when I started to notice that I couldn't hammer out 4 hour days on the mountain on consecutive days. I used to be able to kill myself on weekends but now my Sunday rides are always worse. I need more recovery time between heavy training sessions.

I also got married at 35 so there is a possible coincidence there. ;)

Hell, it was that long ago I would party all night, take a lady home and wake up at 6am the next morning for said ride with friends and absolutely crush them. The same cannot be said now.

I just want to say that 50 is the new 30, but I passed that a while ago. Yes to both.
    X A V I E R

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Mike Gundy will be proud to call you a man tomorrow.

I haven't had that birthday yet.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Ditto MOR and I have a few on you

I DO NOT celebrate my birthdays anymore. What is there to celebrate.....that I am still alive? You can fool other people about your age, but you cannot fool yourself.....those aches and pains of your muscles and joints!

I consider myself older than I have ever been every single morning. I know people that have acted like old men since their early 20's, and I know some older guys that can still tear it up like men in their 20's. (It's possible one of them posted in this thread already).

Physical recovery takes longer, but big whoop.

P.S. By the time you realize you are creepy old guy, you have been creepy old guy for at least 5 years.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
    Now I know I'm not old old, like MOR, because that is oooooolllddd, but I now realize that I'm no longer young, and when I go to a pool or a club or anywhere a bunch of 20 somethings are at, I am now the creepy old guy. I am now out of the loop.

I HATE dayton.
    First, of all. Happy Birthday, you old curmudgeon

I think the first birthday when you bitch about your birthday making you not young anymore is when you have officially jumped the. "old fart" shark.

In your case, Mr. First Responder- and thank you for your service, by the way- you have nothing to bitch about. You recently married way,,way, way above your level, you save lives on a daily basis including guys who can't handle jello shots,,and you look like a million......

.....but you can't be THAT old.:p

Now, about that Horriffic 80's rock thing.....
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 08-14-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

This fall I will run another half marathon this year, log close to 1000 miles running overall and bike a few hundred miles. My first half this year was 1:48:00 My resting heart rate is in the low 50's and I workout 5-6 days a week. Oh, I'll be 56 next month. Old is a state of mind and I am nowhere close to it.
    Pray the Rosary daily