Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by wkrq59 View Post
    Old, hell yes. Old and over, Oh Hell Nooooooo.;):p:D
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell NO!!!"

-Senator John Blutarsky
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I have mainly accepted through my life that being physically active was the equivalent of being young.

I went through a period of demonstrating (mostly to myself) that I wasn't over the hill at 39 going on 40. But I was still OK in my own skin and brain at that point.

When I turned 56, I realized I was closer to 60 than 50, and that was a downer, because I had always considered 60 really freakin old. It was when my Achilles started talking to me, very loudly, about my running habits and I had to back off the long Sunday run that I started feeling old.

A return to golf and walking 9s and 18s has buoyed me up a bit, but I feel old for not being to take that 10 miler anymore.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post
    I have mainly accepted through my life that being physically active was the equivalent of being young.

I went through a period of demonstrating (mostly to myself) that I wasn't over the hill at 39 going on 40. But I was still OK in my own skin and brain at that point.

When I turned 56, I realized I was closer to 60 than 50, and that was a downer, because I had always considered 60 really freakin old. It was when my Achilles started talking to me, very loudly, about my running habits and I had to back off the long Sunday run that I started feeling old.

A return to golf and walking 9s and 18s has buoyed me up a bit, but I feel old for not being to take that 10 miler anymore.
    I started thinking along these lines, in that the birthdays falling on 5's were becoming more alarming than those falling on 0's; it's as though you're put in a position of looking downhill, rolling towards the next decade of your life.

I'm 56 as well now. I'm clearly not doing as well as vee physically - I am facing a hip replacement much sooner than later, which has almost shut me out of golf at this point - but swimming and positive attitude go a long way.

Take the lemons and make lemonade, or suck on them, I guess.
    X A V I E R

Turned 50 on Saturday. Feel great. I had all three of my daughters in my 40s, so they keep me feeling pretty young.

I can still play softball at a high level but other sports have finally taken their toll. I was still able to dunk at 42 years old. Then my knees were officially shot to the point of that being impossible. So while I can't dunk at 50, I can still get drunk at 50.

My vision has definitely declined, which is the biggest problem for me on the softball field--especially given that I still pitch to some of the top hitters in the city.

So if you hear of a guy having his head decapitated and driven into centerfield by a softball, that'll probably be me. Just drink a cold one in the memory of ol' Xpectations and wish me well in the afterlife.

Oh, and if that happens, I'll try to blog about my XU fandom from Heaven. I reckon I'll be able to attend all the games--even those on the road--once there. And best of all, I'll always have great seats and it'll all be free.
    "Xavier is Franciscan monkspeak for gonads."

- Gregg Doyel on Twitter