Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cincinnati Bell Fioptics

The apartment I am leasing in the fall has access to Cincinnati Bell Fioptics. I plan to ditch Time Warner cable as soon as the chance presents itself and am deciding between Fioptics and a DirecTV/DSL combo. For those of you in Cincinnati that have Cincinnati Bell Fiotpics, how do you like it? Does the TV service reliably show Xavier when there are conflicts? Is the internet as blazing as the speeds suggest?

Don't know about the tv, but I tried the Internet for six months and it sucked. I was paying $50/mo. For (up to) 2mb/s upload and 10mb/s download speeds. In reality, I was getting less than 1 mb/s up and about 7mb/s down with massive slowdowns during peak hours. I live less than a mile from one of their "hubs" and the installer promised me a very reliable, fast connection because of my close proximity. Not a chance.

I switched to time warner and am paying the same amount per month, but for a much more reliable and faster connection. Granted, it can get slow between 5-6 pm on work days, but on average, I get 30mb/s down and 8mb/s up.

Take that with a grain of salt as connection speeds vary by each customers location and their proximity to the carrier's utilities, but I was promised a fast speed by Cincy Bell because I was close only to find that I was paying more for a speed that was only slightly improved over zoomtown and was much less reliable to boot.

Thanks, Jumpy. Public reps since The Man is holding me down. I've heard a lot of people in your area have experienced similar problems because of the inferior wire Cincinnati Bell rolled up there. Didn't stop them from charging you more, though! I don't trust them but I don't trust TWC either. I'm leaning towards trying Fioptics when I move since all I have to lose is my patience, whereas TWC wants me to sign a new two year contract...no thanks to that. I also know other folks in Downtown Cincinnati have had blazing speed from Fioptics but those farther afield have had your experience. I might ultimately go with a DirecTV/Road Runner combo. Thanks for your opinion, and everyone else keep them coming.

Jumpy, did you have Cincy Bell Fioptics or just standard Cincy Bell internet? Friends of mine that have had their standard internet, whatever it's called, have complained to me but if you had a direct fiber-optic line and box installed in your house, I'm surprised it wasn't fast and consistent.

I have CB Fioptics for internet and it's been great. I've had it almost 3 years and for me it's been very fast and reliable, it's 10 MB speed. If I click to open the internet, it opens and loads the homepage website in a fraction of a second, it's crazy. The one time there was a problem - a storm knocked something out down the street which knocked out my internet but they came and fixed it. I pay $40/mth for it but they also give me $10 off my DirecTV bill (they have/had some kind of agreement with each other).

I originally had Zoomtown (their DSL option) and switched to Fioptics. I had the same 10mb/s service you currently have. If it works for you, keep it. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work and I was forced to go back to Time Warner, a company that I detest for their horrid customer service. So far so good with them, though. For the same amount that I was paying Cincy Bell a month for 10 mb/s speed, I'm now getting 30mb/s. My wife can be on her Kindle, my kid can be watching Netflix and I can be online gaming all at the same time without a hitch in the gitty-up.

I switched to Fioptics about a year ago. I've never had an issue with not being able to see an XU game. There really isn't much difference to TWC. Cincy Bell offered me a great deal so I switched. The Fioptics On Demand is very inconsistent. Sometimes it is available and sometimes it isn't. I have to reboot the system when it isn't. I don't use On Demand very often so it's not so bad. The search feature for regular shows is a pain in the butt. You can only search on first letter of the show. So if you are looking for Seinfeld you have to go to "S" and page down alphabetically until you get to Seinfeld. Really inconvenient. If I were to do it again I probably wouldn't switch.