Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sophomore
    I agree that the situation is not helping things, but it had little to nothing to do with Devin's final 5. It had a lot more to do with the people Devin has helping him make his decision.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    the recent lack of support at the top
    I suspect this is either speculation or unrealistic expectations.

I think we could realistically get Rysheed, we've been pulling for him pretty hard, and even with tough competition I think we have a good shot. Sure we have a couple good guards right now, but this kid could make a HUGE impact. I'd LOVE to see him on the court wearing Xavier across the chest. If we get him, Patterson, and Thomas, this Xavier class will be AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Say what you want but the situation over the past few months including the situation with Dez is not helping recruiting. Devin Williams is a local kid who as recently as March was a Xavier lean. Xavier is not even in his final 5 schools now. There is a reason for that. I agree Xavier will always miss on kids but the Dez situation and the recent lack of support at the top is causing some problems.
    J, we agree more than you are treating it, which is frankly a bit annoying. Let's go through this:

- I said the Dez situation does not matter for Peters and/or Jordan. I couldn't remember exactly, but I knew it was at least one of them. Even that alone implies the negative side, that there's a chance it does matter for at least one of them. Off that alone, one could reasonably guess that I agree with "the situation with Dez is not helping recruiting," a claim which you seem to think I would dispute.
    - More importantly, I said that for Kris Jenkins, it did matter. If I said this (and man, I wanted to get Jenkins), but I also dismissed the idea that the Dez situation was harmful, I would be committing a blatant contradiction.

The Dez situation is harmful. Its effect will just vary significantly between recruits, with some removing Xavier from their list (or never considering them in the first place), while others don't care about it at all. Then there's everyone in between, including recruits that might be bothered by it but who could still pick Xavier. What I find to be a problem is when some posters present ever recruit that commits elsewhere as "evidence" that the Dez situation has destroyed Xavier. Their memory seems to be short, since they forget that "Xavier will always miss on kids," which you of course didn't forget.

How does anyone know that Jenkins dismissed Xavier because of Dez? I haven't read that anywhere.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

I think the most difficult thing to grasp is the fact that Devin has lived at the Cintas Center for the last 2 years. He goes away to school and now Xavier is not included in the final five. I think 02 could be on to something, but even with that, the fact that we couldn't even make his final five is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    How does anyone know that Jenkins dismissed Xavier because of Dez? I haven't read that anywhere.
    I remember reading over on Scout that it influenced his decision. It wasn't the only factor, but definitely a factor that Xavier didn't need.

I just read the Jenkins thread on Scout. Broering speculated that the Dez situation may have influenced Jenkins decision. But Rick never said this was a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I just read the Jenkins thread on Scout. Broering speculated that the Dez situation may have influenced Jenkins decision. But Rick never said this was a fact.
    Hmm, I didn't think it was Rick that I heard that from, but maybe it was.

Jenkins never took any of visits either.

It's pure speculation to say that the Dez situation influenced Jenkins's decision. Of course it's an easy thing to speculate, how are you going to refute it? We have people on these boards who despite the father of Myles Davis saying although he had options, Myles decided to stay, think that answer is too simplistic. That Myles didn't have any options, or those options were crap. People can spin any decision they want to in order to justify their feelings.

It's going to be a very, very long time before the eeyores of this fan base stop thinking everything that goes wrong with the basketball team can be pinned specifically to Dez or some random administrative person.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015