Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Xavier 115 Loyola Marymount 113

A few of my friends who are not huge X fans went to this game on January 2, 1990. They still claim its one of the best college basketball games they have ever seen. I remember watching it on tv...it was exhausting just watching. Great game though.

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-bas...021805aah.html

That box score is amazing. LMU goes 15-25 from 3 (Kimble 7-8), and X shoots just 3-9 and still wins. How? Rebounding of Hill and Strong.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    That box score is amazing. LMU goes 15-25 from 3 (Kimble 7-8), and X shoots just 3-9 and still wins. How? Rebounding of Hill and Strong.
    Has there ever been two guys go 20-20 in the same game besides this one? Well, Hill went 30-20, Strong went 20-20.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Has there ever been two guys go 20-20 in the same game besides this one? Well, Hill went 30-20, Strong went 20-20.
    Speechless!
    Balls of Steele!!

Sophomore

!!

Amen to this thread! I was there with a buddy and we both agree it was the most thrilling game we have ever seen. Run and gun at it's best can't be beat for sheer entertainment and that's exactly what this game was. Thanks for reminding me of it. It's been a while since I thought about it. Hill and Strong were probably the best big man combination that X has ever had. Hill was a four year starter and ended it as the Xavier career rebounding leader and Strong was a 'partial qualifier' who then started all three years of his eligibility. Not only did they have fine college careers, but both went on to play many years in the NBA. I don't know whether Pete Gillen was responsible for recruiting the bigs, or whether it was Skip Prosser, his number one assistant, but they sure got it done. That era was responsible for X getting the nick name 'Power Forward U'. Aaron Williams was a freshman on that team, and later they recruited ___ ARGH! I have a senior moment road block and can't remember the name. He has Parkinson's Disease and had his jersey retired this year! ). Oh well, most of you will know who I'm talking about.
    Prosser then recruited David West. Wow! I hope Mack can resurrect some of that old magic.

GO MUSKIES!

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it! Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." Goethe

Brian Grant.

Yes, was at the game. Remember I stopped watching the game for a minute so that I could watch all the heads go back and forth like in a tennis match.

It was such a ridiculous pace that I laughed out loud at the obsurdity of it all.
    Balls of Steele!!

That game is in my archived library of Xavier game video. I still go back and watch it on occasion.

Hank Gathers & Bo Kimble vs Jamal Walker, Derek Strong and Ty Hill.

Many people forget that Xavier had played Loyola Marymount out in Los Angeles the year before and won that game too 118- 113.

I''d like to know if 459 combined points in a two game series between two teams is an NCAA record.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I''d like to know if 459 combined points in a two game series between two teams is an NCAA record.
    LMU used to play some ridiculously high scoring games with a school called U.S. International. One year the score was 181-150.

Did a little checking. Earlier the same month, LMU beat US International 162-144. So I suppose the record is 637.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 05-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    LMU used to play some ridiculously high scoring games with a school called U.S. International. One year the score was 181-150.

Did a little checking. Earlier the same month, LMU beat US International 162-144. So I suppose the record is 637.
    Here's a Yahoo article about the games and how LMU's 186 points in a game will probably never be broken.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...Q0fEdWH4revbYF

My dad still says to this day that the X vs. LMU game at the Gardens was the most exciting basketball game he has ever been to.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    That game is in my archived library of Xavier game video. I still go back and watch it on occasion.
    Hank Gathers & Bo Kimble vs Jamal Walker, Derek Strong and Ty Hill.
    Many people forget that Xavier had played Loyola Marymount out in Los Angeles the year before and won that game too 118- 113.
    MOR, the amazing thing is in that game in Los Angeles, Bo Kimble did not play. He was injured. And it was the game where Jamal Walker calmly made either four straight or six straight free throws at the end of the game to seal it. And before the first two, Mally was standing at the free throw line jawing with Hank Gathers who kept telling him, "Kid, you know you're gonna miss," and Jamal would reply with some comment and then "swish." What was even more fun was watching Magic and Kareem and I forget the other Lakers chatting with the players and coaches in the Marriott restaurant-bar afterwards. Great night to be a Muskie fan."