Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Isaiah Johnson (Commit Other)

6'9 280 center impressed mack with is performance last week when he put up 34 against good competition.

very talented player

Sophomore
    Looks like we have offered per the Enquirer:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/recruiti...saiah-johnson/

Sophomore
    Scout has Isaiah Johnson listed as follows:
    Center, 6'9", 250lbs, Not ranked, 2 star.

Maybe he will rise with some AAU exposure this summer, -- or not?

Many questions: How quick? Is he long? Any hops? etc, etc, etc.
    "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it! Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." Goethe

Enquirer articles says 6' 8" (whatever)

only a 2 star - meaning what?

1. stars are irrelevant?

2. that's good for a center?

3. we getting desperate to recruit bigs?

This is a local kid but I'm not familiar with him. What's the scoop?

He's a guy that is sort of a late bloomer as a basketball player. Focused more on football in HS and - given his frame - had some interest from MAC-type schools. Would be a bit of a project and might be a redshirt candidate but by all accounts is a good teammate and locker room guy. Upside might be a Jason Love type.

More like 6' 9" 270. Put up 35 points against a 4 star center. He's just not playing much AAU ball. Very likely one of those hidden gems in which 3 years from now Xavier fans are scratching their collective heads saying, Why didn't Mack recruit this guy?

Think of the star system as a tool, not the bible. Look at how many Xavier greats we would have missed out on if the star system was the end all.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    More like 6' 9" 270. Put up 35 points against a 4 star center. He's just not playing much AAU ball. Very likely one of those hidden gems in which 3 years from now Xavier fans are scratching their collective heads saying, Why didn't Mack recruit this guy?

Think of the star system as a tool, not the bible. Look at how many Xavier greats we would have missed out on if the star system was the end all.
    Has he been putting up numbers consistently? Just curious, because it could have just been one freak good game. But you're right, the star system isn't the bible, but it's helpful to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Has he been putting up numbers consistently? Just curious, because it could have just been one freak good game. But you're right, the star system isn't the bible, but it's helpful to go by.
    He averaged 17.1 ppg and 11.6 rpg this season. He was 2nd team All-Southwest District in Ohio, All-Ohio Honorable mention, Ohio District 16 First Team and player of the year in the FAVC. I think danaandvictory's Jason Love comparison is a good one. Right now he has basketball offers from MAC schools and football offers from Louisville and Kentucky.

As a fellow Walnut Hills grad, I'd like to see him in a Xavier uni.
    Last edited by THRILLHOUSE; 05-31-2012 at 12:38 PM.

I tend to give true big guys a lot more leeway in the lack of stars department than guards, because they typically take longer to develop and grow into their bodies. I liked Roy Hibbert as a person in high school, but I remember laughing out loud when I heard he was going to Georgetown, because I thought he'd be a glorified walk-on. That's how awful and goofy he was in high school. He panned out pretty nicely, I'd say. Not comparing Johnson to Hibbert at all, just emphasizing that bigs take time to develop in a much different way than perimeter guys and athletic forwards.

Committed to Akron.