Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Junior Seau

RIP Junior Seau

Preliminary reports saying he committed suicide as a result of multiple concussions and the aftermath. I did a triple take upon hearing this.

I HATE dayton.

One of the best I have ever seen. So sad to see him go out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
    Preliminary reports saying he committed suicide as a result of multiple concussions and the aftermath. I did a triple take upon hearing this.

I HATE dayton.
    Isn't this somewhat similar to what happened with Chris Beniot? Except with the addition of mass amounts of steroids, he raged and killed his child and wife before killing himself. Pretty sure the autopsy on Benoit attributed his issues to multiple concussions as well....scary stuff.

RIP, Junior Seau.

Dave Duerson shot himself in the chest and in his suicide note he stated he wanted his brain to be donated for concussion research
    "I was in Dayton, Ohio you ever been there? You know what's fun to do there...pack up and get the f#@$ out of there." Dave Attell

Seau is the 8th player from San Diegos '94 Super Bowl team to die. That is unbelievable to me.

I HATE dayton.

Sophomore
    Wow, concussions, TBI and suicide among athletes and war veterans is at an all time high. He texted "love you" to his wife and kids before he did it. These people need help. So sad.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Isn't this somewhat similar to what happened with Chris Beniot? Except with the addition of mass amounts of steroids, he raged and killed his child and wife before killing himself. Pretty sure the autopsy on Benoit attributed his issues to multiple concussions as well....scary stuff.
    I'm not sure "rage" is the right word -- my understanding is that it was a homicidal despair, not anger. I don't think the effects of steroids were implicated at all. If anything, that narrative is a convenient scapegoat for pro wrestling and the NFL, to avoid having to deal with the natural consequences of those activities.

And yeah, his brain was pretty much swiss cheese (much like a lot of NFL players who have committed suicide) from concussions and diving headbutts.

The NFL would be a safer (but bloodier) place without pads and helmets.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal View Post
    Wow, concussions, TBI and suicide among...war veterans is at an all time high.
    There's something we can do to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    That's an interesting point. I wonder if the prevalence of concussions and the severity of post-career brain issues is comparable between football and rugby players. Concussions are definitely one of the most common (if not the most common) injuries for rugby players.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    I'm not sure "rage" is the right word -- my understanding is that it was a homicidal despair, not anger. I don't think the effects of steroids were implicated at all. If anything, that narrative is a convenient scapegoat for pro wrestling and the NFL, to avoid having to deal with the natural consequences of those activities.

And yeah, his brain was pretty much swiss cheese (much like a lot of NFL players who have committed suicide) from concussions and diving headbutts.

This is a scary topic. One of my good buddies has two kids that play in Mason's elementary aged football league. He told me he has seen kids get concussions all the time.....some have been hospitalized for prolonged periods of time. Not vicious hits....but unfortunate hits. I have an 8 year old that hasn't played football yet. My home town offers tackle football from grade 1. My son is pretty strong and coordinated for his age. Multiple people approached me during basketball season and asked me if he would be playing football. He has showed a pretty quality apptitude at football although he's never played (probably moreso than any other sport!). He hasn't asked to play yet...but I have no idea how to respond. His mother is 100% against football. I'm worried about concussions. Concussions are serious shit. I'm caught between being a cool dad and an overly sensitive ninny.

Nobody said parenthood was easy.