Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Why does Butler hate us?

I was interested in what the Butler folks thought about joining the A-10; did a search and found the BU Hoops board. I didn't realize that we were enemy #1 for Butler. I'm old and remember them as a typical MCC foe - we'd usually win at the Garden & then have a close game on the road (Butler, SLU, Detroit, Evansville, etc). When we left the MCC I didn't think about Butler until their amazing run to the finals x2.

I realize that a message board may not represent well but Butler seems to look at us like OSU looks at Michigan. If their admin has one third the passion of the fans I expect them to join immediately.

Anyway, Dayton & UC hate us, and now Butler. We must be doing something right! Beat ND!

Junior
    We broke a water fountain. Which usually isn't that big of a deal, but that fountain was the biggest addition installed in Hinkle since it was built.
    zip em up

Today, Brad Stevens said that both Xavier and Memphis are capable of deep runs in the tournament. Oh wait, that's probably because he wants to escape the Horizon League for either the A-10 or CUSA.
    Pray the Rosary daily

The serious reply includes points such as: geographic proximity, recruiting similar markets/players- Butler has had Mike Marshall, Joel Cornett, Mike Monserat all GCL while XU has had Indy guys galore, fanbase interaction w/Indy XU alums, Thad Matta. Butler holds some grudge since XU pulled out of MCC to A 10 which essentially collapsed a fairly good league.

Finally, where else could Butler turn to find a true nonconference rival ?
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Butler didn't even get Monserez until Notre Dame ran him off.

Notre Dame didn't run him off. He hated Doherty. He said he was transferring and a week later Doherty left for UNC.

Why do I not care?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

The biggest problem was Thad leaving for X.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 200 View Post
    I was interested in what the Butler folks thought about joining the A-10; did a search and found the BU Hoops board. I didn't realize that we were enemy #1 for Butler. I'm old and remember them as a typical MCC foe - we'd usually win at the Garden & then have a close game on the road (Butler, SLU, Detroit, Evansville, etc). When we left the MCC I didn't think about Butler until their amazing run to the finals x2.

I realize that a message board may not represent well but Butler seems to look at us like OSU looks at Michigan. If their admin has one third the passion of the fans I expect them to join immediately.

Anyway, Dayton & UC hate us, and now Butler. We must be doing something right! Beat ND!
    Your answer = they feel they have proven to be the better program, by beating us 2 years in a row, and going to back to back final fours. They have been tired of all the attention Xavier gets, and they find it frustrating that after the past 3 years, we still believe we are better, and their program is still considered at best on the same level with Xavier on a national level.

They feel they have been the best team in the state of Indiana and even midwest. The fact their facilities, coach, recruiting classes, chances at success aren't considered better drive them nuts. They feel Xavier = class less thugs at an inferior school and program, and the Butler way is clearly superior (see Lance Goss)

They probably feel like they shouldn't have to "settle" for the A10, and they should be considered ahead of Xavier for a bigger conference-

And here's their response to this thread...enjoy!

http://buhoops.yuku.com/topic/8550/W...s#.T190EZgepdo