Thread: Sampson at IU

Sampson at IU

Sampson just accepted a $750,000 buyout to resign as coach at Indiana.
    26+6=1

Here is a link to the yahoo version (via AP).

That's a pretty good gig. Screw around with the rules. Put a black eye on one of the cleanest programs in the history of the NCAA, and pocket 750k for your troubles. What a jackass. IU is much better without that sleaze bag.

Forde has the five quality candidates IU should consider on espn.com

1. Tony Bennett - Wash St
    2. Sean Miller
    3. Brad Brownell - Wright St
    4. Mark Few - Gonzaga
    5. Thad Matta - the OSU

Very interesting I hadn't heard Mark Few mentioned before.
    D-Bagging his way to the NBA.

I'd understand why anyone might want to coach the Hoosiers. It is a great program with vast history and a gigantic following. They are going to be screwed a bit though. They'll get some smacks from the NCAA, which they have earned. Too bad for them. But they'll recover. I like IU a lot. I just hate Sampson.

How long until Sampson has a new job? My guess is that he has to take a year off and is coaching a LaSalle type program in 09-10.

At the Flying J buying a severed lion's head
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    How long until Sampson has a new job? My guess is that he has to take a year off and is coaching a LaSalle type program in 09-10.
    I was thinking the same thing. I give it two yrs before he resurfaces at a small school, probably back home in North Carolina or something coaching in the MEAC.

Quote Originally Posted by XU0001 View Post
    Forde has the five quality candidates IU should consider on espn.com

1. Tony Bennett - Wash St
    2. Sean Miller
    3. Brad Brownell - Wright St
    4. Mark Few - Gonzaga
    5. Thad Matta - the OSU

Very interesting I hadn't heard Mark Few mentioned before.
    Few turned down an interview request from IU two years ago.

I would laugh if Matta took that job. I always thought he would end up coaching the Hoosiers, and now that he has been at OSU for a few years, I can see him jumping at the chance to coach at IU.

That said, I don't know if it is even possible. I thought there was a rule against Big Ten coaches leaving one Big Ten school for another. But I could be wrong.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    I would laugh if Matta took that job. I always thought he would end up coaching the Hoosiers, and now that he has been at OSU for a few years, I can see him jumping at the chance to coach at IU.

That said, I don't know if it is even possible. I thought there was a rule against Big Ten coaches leaving one Big Ten school for another. But I could be wrong.
    I honestly though Matta would stay at XU until the IU job opened up. If he stayed as bit longer he could have been the one replacing Mike Davis. Frankly he would be a better match for IU. Was the OSU job his dread job? Was it IU or was it just any Big Ten job?