Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More 2012 Recruits?

I admit to not keeping up with the recruiting wars on a regular basis. It seems to me that we are still mulling over some potential 2012 guys.

I thought our class was full? Does continued interest maybe indicate some current players on the roster have decided (or we have decided) they are not returning?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I admit to not keeping up with the recruiting wars on a regular basis. It seems to me that we are still mulling over some potential 2012 guys.

I thought our class was full? Does continued interest maybe indicate some current players on the roster have decided (or we have decided) they are not returning?
    I think that's a safe guess. Lyons is a senior and might call it a career at X, Redford is a senior that could do the same (although I think he'll be back) and many have mentioned that J-Mart just seems very unhappy. Add that there's always speculation around Griff. So it's likely we'll have at least one more spot open. But, honestly, I couldn't say exactly where that opening comes from...although I'm sure the staff already has an idea.

I wish we were still in on Jakarr Sampson, but it seems like we're no longer in the mix. He would be a great addition to play SF and he would also have the size to sometimes give you a stretch 4. He is also familiar with Reynolds and Christon from Brewster.

I also saw us linked to Aaron Ross (SF/PF) and, of course, we're always in the Torian Graham discussion.

(And maybe Sim decides to transfer to X and, being that he didn't play this year, I'm assuming he wouldn't have to sit out next year! Hey, anything's possible. :D)

I thought the same thing. Does anyone know what the deal is with that? I mean, he is a "normal student," so therefore should just be able to transfer in at Xavier with no problems, correct? Anyone more versed on this mumbo-jumbo than myself?
    Long Live the X.

Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    (And maybe Sim decides to transfer to X and, being that he didn't play this year, I'm assuming he wouldn't have to sit out next year! Hey, anything's possible. :D)
    Exactly. Hell, maybe Shabaz Muhammad (sp?) will decide he likes the idea of tough guys in the locker room.

Exactly. Hell, maybe Shabaz Muhammad (sp?) will decide he likes the idea of tough guys in the locker room.
    Now you're talking!

Let's not screw around. We need a center. Go get the Nerlens guy...he re-classified.

Let's not screw around. We need a center. Go get the Nerlens guy...he re-classified.
    I would fall out of whatever chair I was sitting in at the time if Nerlens Noel committed to X.

Assuming two more spots open up (maybe a transfer, maybe a player doesn't return for a 5th year, whatever...), I would still love to see Jakarr Sampson on this team. Granted, we have Dez who can play the 3, but I think he's very capable of moving to SG and, by the time his X career is over, I think that's going to be the best spot for him. Here's a possible rotation if we landed Sampson or another SF:

PG: Davis, Christon, Davis
    SG: Redford, Davis, Wells
    SF: Wells, Sampson, Martin
    PF: Martin, Taylor, Reynolds, Farr
    C: Robinson, McKenzie, Reynolds

I'm sticking Martin at PF simply because I don't want to put a frosh starting there and I don't think Taylor has shown he can start at the 4 yet. If you look at that projection you can figure out who I don't think will return. If any of the above decide to leave, it would leave the door open for another recruit, possibly a PF or C.

Sophomore
    The Sampson recruitment is a long shot. He has offers from Kansas, Baylor, St.John's, and many more. He will have his pick, Xavier is recruiting him, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Toran Graham is a more realistic option, but he still has to qualify, and is in a holding pattern until that happens.

Xavier is also recruiting multiple bigs on the high school and JC level, and has offered a few.

We are looking to fill two spots for sure.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by xufan02 View Post
    The Sampson recruitment is a long shot. He has offers from Kansas, Baylor, St.John's, and many more. He will have his pick, Xavier is recruiting him, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    The odd thing with Sampson is that X was probably his choice before the academic issues forced his hand. If he's looking again and X is interested, why wouldn't they be right back at the top of the list? Of course I think Kelsey was the one who had the relationship with Jakarr and his family so, with Pat no longer on staff, maybe that's why it's not a great fit now.