Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Get Latos

Reds Get Latos

The Padres have traded Mat Latos to the Reds for Volquez, Alonso, Boxberger and Grandal. Cincinnati gets the TOR starter they need while trading surplus talent that was blocked by other players. This is the type of move Walt used to build winners in St. Louis. And before anyone talks about the "Petco Park Effect," Latos had better splits on the road than he did in San Diego.

That's a sold trade, love it. Any idea what Latos' contract is like, I assume we would not give all that up if we didn't get him for decent price for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningMan View Post
    That's a sold trade, love it. Any idea what Latos' contract is like, I assume we would not give all that up if we didn't get him for decent price for a couple years.
    He is arb eligible in 1-2 seasons and under Reds control until Oct 2016.

Half the point of accumulating prospects is to be able to make trades like this. Will it work? Maybe not. But it's a bold move intended to put the Reds back in contention for the Central this season and next while Votto is here. Neither Alonso or Grandal have anyplace to play in Cincinnati anyway and both were likely to be moved, so the "heavy price" here is whatever else people think the Reds could have gotten for them from another team.

Boxberger is probably the only guy I'll miss.

Cueto and Latos for next 3 years guaranteed is really exciting. If Bronson can be a .500 starter and if Leake can continue to grow we are looking good. Now let's go find a LF!!

One of the posters on RedsZone posted this. I'm linking directly to the post rather than figuring out the code for this site. These stats make me feel pretty good about Latos!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=181

Quote Originally Posted by danaandvictory View Post
    He is arb eligible in 1-2 seasons and under Reds control until Oct 2016.
    So enquirer is reporting that he is under control until 2015, but that paper is a piece of crap so I could see it being wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningMan View Post
    So enquirer is reporting that he is under control until 2015, but that paper is a piece of crap so I could see it being wrong.
    He is under control through the 2015 season. His first year as a free agent would be the 2016 season.

That's solid, hopefully we can sign him to a 5 yr deal and avoid arbitration when the time comes.

The Reds saved money in the deal too.

I would rather have seen Bailey or Wood in the deal as opposed to Boxberger. Also surprised that we didn't get a mid-level prospect back from San Diego. Overall I guess I'm OK with the trade.

I'd still like to see the Reds sign Keppinger as our veteran back-up SS and Jaramillo as a Veteran catcher to stash in AAA. Seth Smith (for Homer Bailey?) as a platoon partner for Heisey would make the Reds the team to beat in the Central.
    No, I be concubining.