Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Villanova got the other bball schools to vote against Temple as an all-sports member according to Temple boards. Temple boards on fire with hatred for Villanova.

Big 5 probably a casualty of this. Too much bad blood.
    If the five Temple fans are surprised by this action, then they are truly stupid.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Villanova got the other bball schools to vote against Temple as an all-sports member according to Temple boards. Temple boards on fire with hatred for Villanova.

Big 5 probably a casualty of this. Too much bad blood.
    I can't decide which is the most entertaining...

Boston College/UConn

Texas/TAMU

Temple/Nova

You have BC's AD basically bragging about how they are keeping UConn out. This is spite for seven years ago when BC underwent a lawsuit spearheaded by UConn when they left the BE. That lawsuit was out of spite because BC was leaving and didn't tell anyone. Good stuff. It's like pro wrestling. There's much more to it, but those are the highlights.

Temple/Nova is great as well. Temple wants full membership several years ago, and Nova blocks it. To add insult to injury, Temple would also no longer be an affiliate member for football. Then Nova wants to go to div1, but needs a stadium. They want to use the Linc, but Temple says no. Nova can't move up. I could be wrong about this, but it is the only example in the history of the NCAA where a full member was denied participation in a sport that is sponsored by their own league.

Now Temple wants into the BE again....and Nova blocks it....again. That's great stuff too.

I think everyone knows the LHN/Texas/TAMU saga. Now Texas is saying they won't schedule TAMU in football until at least 2018.

Georgetown and Maryland have a nice little riff going, but it's nothing like the above three.

This leads me to ask the following question of our esteemed athletic directors and college presidents who are all a part of this circus.....

WHAT GRADE ARE YOU PEOPLE IN???!!!
    Last edited by xubrew; 10-15-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I can't decide which is the most entertaining...

Boston College/UConn

Texas/TAMU

Temple/Nova

You have BC's AD basically bragging about how they are keeping UConn out. This is spite for seven years ago when BC underwent a lawsuit spearheaded by UConn when they left the BE. That lawsuit was out of spite because BC was leaving and didn't tell anyone. Good stuff. It's like pro wrestling. There's much more to it, but those are the highlights.

Temple/Nova is great as well. Temple wants full membership several years ago, and Nova blocks it. To add insult to injury, Temple would also no longer be an affiliate member for football. Then Nova wants to go to div1, but needs a stadium. They want to use the Linc, but Temple says no. Nova can't move up. I could be wrong about this, but it is the only example in the history of the NCAA where a full member was denied participation in a sport that is sponsored by their own league.

Now Temple wants into the BE again....and Nova blocks it....again. That's great stuff too.

I think everyone knows the LHN/Texas/TAMU saga. Now Texas is saying they won't schedule TAMU in football until at least 2018.

Georgetown and Maryland have a nice little riff going, but it's nothing like the above three.

This leads me to ask the following question of our esteemed athletic directors and college presidents who are all a part of this circus.....

WHAT GRADE ARE YOU PEOPLE IN???!!!
    Haha public reps!

Temple's absence would have dropped the A-10's overall W/L OOC record from 58.6% down to 57.6%. That is a drop. I'm not saying Temple isn't an asset to the A-10. I'm saying that their impact on Xavier's profile is identical if they remain on the schedule.
    I don't think is true because they play everyone else in the conference 15, 16 (whatever the number is) times, and so thier SOS has a greater bearing than just as an OOC opponent.
    Just looking at this thread after the Big East invites. Then I saw some of the previous discussion and I was curious what would happen to Xavier's RPI last year if there was no Temple in the A10. A little surprising ...

If Temple's games didn't count towards the RPI, it turns out xubrew is correct. To four decimal places, Xavier's RPI would not change (by chance). We lose our one win vs Temple. However, most of the other A10 teams lost to Temple and so they would have a better winning percentage without Temple; hence, Xavier's OWP would go up. There are so many games involved in the opponenent's opponent's winning percentage, that it's impact is minimal in the 4th decimal place of the overall RPI.

When I did the same thing for dropping Fordham's games, our RPI rank last year would have actually dropped (only one place). Turns out, that our SOS improves by having a team that everyone else in the A10 can beat up on.

Temple is one of the finest A10 members, and if it were to leave the A10, it's impact would be more than just the numbers.

Below is a link to the X page of RPI Forecast. Scroll down to see the weight each opponent has on an individual team basis. Notice that conference opponents weight on a teams RPI more than OOC opponents in every single case. Which is kind of a Duh statement, since everyone in a conference are common opponents. The teams we played twice weight the most. And we all know that the RPI can be gamed by all members of a conference by scheduling to ensure a high OOC win percentage. Is the impact really all that substantial? I don't know, but it does exist.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Xavier.html

Below is a link to the X page of RPI Forecast. Scroll down to see the weight each opponent has on an individual team basis. Notice that conference opponents weight on a teams RPI more than OOC opponents in every single case. Which is kind of a Duh statement, since everyone in a conference are common opponents. The teams we played twice weight the most. And we all know that the RPI can be gamed by all members of a conference by scheduling to ensure a high OOC win percentage. Is the impact really all that substantial? I don't know, but it does exist.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Xavier.html
    It exists, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't THAT big of a deal.

My point wasn't to say that Temple was not an asset. They are. My only point was that if the A10 loses Temple, and Xavier continues to schedule them, the overall impact on Xavier's profile is virtually zero. Xavier would still have no problems establishing itself as a strong team. Even if the RPI drops a few points, there really isn't any difference between a 20 and a 17 in and of itself....and the drop in RPI wouldn't even be that big.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

It exists, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't THAT big of a deal.

My point wasn't to say that Temple was not an asset. They are. My only point was that if the A10 loses Temple, and Xavier continues to schedule them, the overall impact on Xavier's profile is virtually zero. Xavier would still have no problems establishing itself as a strong team. Even if the RPI drops a few points, there really isn't any difference between a 20 and a 17 in and of itself....and the drop in RPI wouldn't even be that big.
    I want to agree that it's not that big of a deal. I was really just pointing out that there is a difference in weights for conference vs. non-conference opponents, and they are not identical (your descriptor).

I used to like to crunch these numbers, but I'm too lazy anymore, but I do think these numbers come down to many decimal places and it can affect a teams rank and a conference rank. Remember when we used to be a bubble team? I'm pretty confident this minutia matters then.