Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

A Refreshing Read For Those That Don't Like ESPN

I'm no fan of ESPN. I think most know that. I don't entirely understand why everyone views them as being as important as they are, in college sports or in anything else. There are other networks out there, but some how if you don't deal with ESPN you're not perceived as big time...even if another network offers more money and more coverage.

For those of you that are like me, this is a refreshing read. I'm not sure how much of it I agree with, but I do agree with some of it...

http://outkickthecoverage.com/why-es...the-future.php
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

One word:

Yup.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Put me in the group of people that just completely doesnt see ANYTHING bad about ESPN.

ESPN has revolutionized sports. They have delivered games, across every possible sports category, right into my living room. At essentially no charge to me.

ESPN has delivered information, scores and highlights for hours on end, which is much better than the 5-7 minutes I used to get by waiting for the sports portion of the local news.

How people find time to bitch about one of the greatest things to happen over the last 30 years is simply beyond me.

Enjoy the games!

I love drinking the Hateraide of

Extreme
    Self
    Promoting
    Network

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Put me in the group of people that just completely doesnt see ANYTHING bad about ESPN.

ESPN has revolutionized sports. They have delivered games, across every possible sports category, right into my living room. At essentially no charge to me.

ESPN has delivered information, scores and highlights for hours on end, which is much better than the 5-7 minutes I used to get by waiting for the sports portion of the local news.

How people find time to bitch about one of the greatest things to happen over the last 30 years is simply beyond me.
    This is true... BUT... Notice how everything you wrote was in past tense? ESPN/ABC has jumped the shark.

My biggest problem with ESPN is how they force drama down my throat... Who's fighting with who, who took steroids, who said something racist... blah blah blah... Am I the only one who chooses to watch sports as a distraction to the drama in my every day life? Why the hell would I want drama as a distraction to drama?!

Remember when ESPN had personalities? Every 11PM Sports Center was like you were watching highlights with your buddies. Guys like Dan Patrick, Keith Olbermann, Craig Kilbourne, Charley Steiner, Kenny Mayne, Rich Eisen... they were both hilarious and informative. Compare that to today... Sage Steele. Are you serious, Clark? That bitch is intolerable. I simply cannot watch her. Furthermore, she has become symbolic of everything I loathe about the network.

Remember when ESPN used to give us two things: sports & highlights? Nowadays, just try and find Royals vs Mariners highlights. Instead, after their brief Yankees highlights they'll bring in Sal Paolantonio to report whether Michael Vick is a homo because he touched the center's balls during the snap before going to some cheaply plugged promotion like the Coors Light 6-pack of questions with japanamation-like graphics and slow-mo replays (that make us think we're watching sports) before they bring some round table of "experts" to all reinforce each other's group-think mentality that the Big East is unquestionably the best conference in college basketball.

I have officially reached my breaking point with the Family of Networks.

ESPN:
    Last edited by Blue Blooded-05; 08-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    "It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be associated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier." -Mitch Hedberg

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    I guess you can lump me in the group that won't have anything to do with that 4-letter network unless there's either a Xavier contest or a Reds contest on. They put most of their reporting into resources that they've invested themselves into (i.e. incessant NFL coverage, college football and basketball, etc.) ESPN doesn't treat baseball like a crown jewel unless you're watching a Sunday night game. It's not a coincidence that they never use highlight footage from either MLB Network or TBS unless a postseason game is involved.

They've shoved the NFL, F@#$% and LeBron James down the collective throats of America to the point where I can't watch anything related to them anymore.

ESPN sucks, but they have some long term contracts, so I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

5. Most sports fans don't trust ESPN anymore

You can count me in this group.
    Balls of Steele!!

Take all the emotion out of it and consider what the author is conveying from a business point of view:

ESPN primarily is a distribution platform. ESPN does not generate meaningful content, for the most part. It primarily is a third party middle man that provides a broadcast platform via television. The key line in his article is this one:

"Put simply, ESPN doesn't create any programming that is must see television."

He followed that up with noting that the content providers will be able to bypass ESPN for distribution by the end of this decade. Anyone who could not see the Big Ten's brilliance with setting up their broadcast JV just doesn't get it.

"In the event leagues don't decide to sell their rights, in the future ESPN's top competitors for rights fees aren't going to be television networks." -- you may or may not have any clue about how absolutely correct that statement is becoming, even now. ESPN is the buggy whip manufacturer. And the new millenium - 1900 - just turned over.

I'll leave it with this, other than to note that I'm asking for feedback on a new pilot (content) in another thread for a reason: "The market caps of CBS, News Corporation, Disney, and Comcast combined, the biggest current sports partners in the United States? $173 billion."

"That's less than Google by itself."
    Last edited by xudash; 08-28-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    X A V I E R

I wish ESPN would show more of the obscure sports, to be honest. I'm tired of all of the mainstream sports all the time every freaking time I turn on that network. I want more international soccer and things like that. Alas, I will never get it from ESPN or that network. I wish vs. had a bigger footprint.

I HATE dayton.